Thursday, December 25, 2014

A Bahama Breeze - 12/24/14

Or - It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas

It was a day for running an errand and visiting an art gallery. In other words, another day of being retired . . . and loving it!!

When we walked out the door, the light was, well, electric. It was just brilliant and vibrant and exciting. Hahaha, I know that sounds a bit melodramatic, but when you try and see the world in terms of light and shade it mades more sense.

In photography, light is King. It's the main ingredient and then, it if is a good composition, everything else falls into place. The light was there this morning. Someday I might be able to take advantage of it better. Someday.

But for now, I grabbed some shots of the light in the neighborhood.

Needless to say, part of capturing the light is being where the other elements fall into place. Oh, and having the artist's eye, too. 


You can see a bit of the drama in this shot. The light illuminated the foreground elements and was darker in the distance. 

The clouds have been so obvious, so mood-changing lately. I've enjoyed the way the sun breaks through a hole in the clouds and brightens one area on the horizon while everything else is still blanketed in the dark and gloom.



Like this scene. It was more vibrant than I've been able to represent here but you begin to get the idea. 

We always seem to get a light show on our walk to the Link. You just have to be aware and want to look at what's happening around you. Here's where Renton Avenue merges into MLK.



I was shooting with my small camera and the zoom isn't as powerful as with the newer one. But, still, I'm trying to get that 'compressed' look in my pictures. You also get an idea of how monochromatic the afternoon light could be in certain areas. 



Woo, woo!! I am gonna be soooooo rich!! Hahaha, my time is getting nearer . . . just the other day I won $5 on one of my tickets.

So, when I win the Mega Millions please don't worry that you never, ever, ever hear from me again!! I will be OK. Very, very, very OK.



Clang, clang, clang goes the trolly . . . Here comes de Link!!




I have been interested in the lines and patterns made by the bare branches of the trees against the sky. I just need to work on it a bit more. Plus, I need to figure out how to present it . . . as a B&W or??? The skies in this picture were too gray, I think.


But we got downtown. Our errand was to go to Glazer's Cameras, a photo supply store. I recently ordered a Filter Adapter and a 67mm filter for my new camera and now I need a lens cap to go along with it. So off we went. 

Meeting smile after smile!!!



The streets of The Emerald City were busy on this last day before Christmas.



This hectic scene is on 5th Avenue where it crosses Pine. There's the Westlake Christmas Tree in the background with the Small Market around it.



It was a semi-chilly day and so, since Glazer's is about a mile away, we decided to ride the rails, again. Off to the Monorail we went.



And there's the rail . . . there behind the leafless but still colorful trees along 5th Avenue.



And there it is, there's the Monorail.






And there she is!! The downtown terminal of the one-mile route. These same cars have been making this run, back and forth, since March 24, 1962



All aboard!!!



The entrance is part of the Nordstrom's building. So, naturally, there are all kinds of shops right next to it.



Selling all kinds of nonsense. And, doggone it, if I don't want to go in and look, and possibly buy, each and every time!!

Hahahaha, each and every doggone time!!



And here, just off the entrance to the Monorail, you can get these 'Timeless Keepsakes'. It's amazing what they can do now. If you had told me about this kind of now commonplace store where you could go in, get your picture printed on a shirt and wear it out way back when I was a 16-year old kid, I would have laughed my head off and told you to use your Dick Tracy Two-Way Wrist Radio to call for quick ride to the Loony Bin.

Amazing stuff!!



And I couldn't pass up a shot of this shirt.

Goooooo, 'Hawks!!


All kinds of foo-fer-all.



Now that I look at it, I kinda wish I'd noticed that sign about the Green Screen Photo Experience and gone to see what it was all about. Again, modern technology, it's a total kick in the pants. I bet they pose you in front of a green screen and you pick out some kind of background for yourself. 

A-MAZ-ING!!!!




From the dining area, you can get this view of Westlake Park, the Christmas Carousel and the Christmas Tree.


And these . . . 


You gotta wonder at the thought processes behind the traffic management folks when you see a scene like this . . . red, red then green, green, green, green and then red. 



Love the streets during the winter.



Whup!! Here we go!!



They're everywhere, these 12s!! 

I tell you, this is nothing compared to what will happen if the Seahawks beat the Rams this coming Sunday. This town will go bonkers!!

#overthetop



On the Monorail and heading down to the Seattle Center!!



This was a quick shot and so I apologize for the slight blur . . . this is the obviously colorful trolly that runs from Westlake to South Lake Union.



But we eventually got to the Seattle Center and as we were getting off we saw the Chiuly Garden and Glass Museum.



I know there are some that think this is really great stuff but, other than the novelty of seeing all that large glass, it doesn't do a thing for me.



And if you swivel your head to the left, you get this view of the Space Needle.



It's irresistible . . . I can't help taking pictures of the thing. Hahaha, get used to it because each and every time I've been to the Seattle Center or even near it, I get a picture of the Needle.



And a little more down to earth is this Hot Dog Stand . . . called, appropriately enough, Dog In the Park. There's something about a hot dog that really appeals to the inner child in me. 

I know they're not good for me . . . or anyone else for that matter, but they have a pull that reaches way back to when I was a kid.

Plus, they taste good. Topped with mustard and chopped onions and . . . Mmmmmm



Whup!! There they are again!!

This town will be crazy if the 'Hawks go to the play-offs.

Absolutely crazy!!



Glazer's is over in the Lake Union area and, naturally, they're building something over that way too. In fact, they're building lots of things over that way. We're still in the Seattle Center and looking east down Thomas St. And, again, you can see that Seattle is not flat . . . not a bit.



Star Wars!! 

She's a rebel, a Jedi, a Princess and now a Queen.

Somethings are timeless.



There's the Monorail, making another round. And there, just below it and across the street is McDonald's.



And, the EMP Museum. Good golly, that's the ugliest building. Seriously, what were they thinking when they came up with this monstrosity. You can see the rail for the Monorail on the left. 



We made it over to the Mickey D's because, well, we deserved a break today. Hahaha, I was feeling a bit peckish and I rarely pass up a chance to eat at a McDonald's.



Especially a Christmas McDonald's!!



And here they are again, Your World Champion Super Bowl Seattle Seahawks.

And those fries were good, too!



Lines, angles and patterns.



More construction and more hills. Hills are cute but not really too much fun when you're hoofing it . . . and you're an old, fat man.



Hahaha, and this shot combines two of my (current) favorite themes . . . reflections in a puddle combined with leafless trees.

I am, literally, nothing if I'm not predictable . . . and I am sooooo predictable.



    Reflected Window Across the Street Selfie!!     

Again with the predictability. And, good grief!! Could I be any more balder!?!?!



Again with the reflections . . . this one showing Seattle's passion for Cranes.



Here's the family sitting together outside Channel 5, King Broadcasting, watching, of all things, TV. Hahahaha, self-serving artwork, eh?



     Seattle Icon Reflected Store Window Selfie!!

This was too great a temptation to pass up. A large window with the Space Needle reflected in it.



An old garage was converted into a radio station, KEXP.

KEXP is a Seattle-based non-commercial radio station that produces an award-winning, innovative blend of music that promotes discovery among its worldwide audience. With a library of more than 35,000 CDs and 12,000 records, KEXPs 45 DJs have the creative authority to curate their own shows - in rock, hip hop, electronic, country, blues, world and more. 

And yet, somehow, I've never listened to them.



Nor have I visited  the Black Market. Sorry, Matt, but as soon as I saw the sign "Skateboards', I knew I wouldn't be stopping there.

What an odd little place. Fits right into The Emerald City.



They were crane-happy at this site.



Street scene on Drexler Avenue.



Street scene, 7th Avenue.



I really do like the streets of the city. All the movement and life. And the sights.



This is a long shot but as we were walking down 7th Avenue, we saw the Monorail making it's run along 5th Avenue.



At one of those odd intersections that help define Seattle, here's the Cafe Suisse on Westlake. I also have a strong affection for brick buildings.



You may have already guessed that we decided to walk back from Glazer's. It's hard not to pass up any opportunity to walk around Seattle because, honestly, you never really know what you're going to see. It's always a surprise.



And here's the Hotel Max. I have a grandson named Max and I've seen this name before, from a distance, so I couldn't pass up a chance to get this pic when we walked by it.

The Hotel Max is, according to its own advertising, The Most Artistic Downtown Seattle Hotel.

In the heart of downtown Seattle, the Hotel Max is a home away from home for art lovers, musicians and the creatively inclined (is that me?). Showcasing original paintings in all guest rooms and the work of iconic local photographers on each floor. Hotel Max is a boutique Seattle hotel that mixes urban adventure with art, music and style.

Hotel Max welcomes man's best friend with pet-friendly accommodations and amenities that range from pet bowls, beds and toys to their pet spiritual menu offering inspirational books on everything from dog massages to pet psychology.

Only in The Emerald City.

We're gonna have to stop in there someday to see some of the artwork.


There's the monorail and, just beyond it, the tree that both Carol and I thought should have been the City's Christmas Tree. Sadly it isn't decorated.

Ah, sometimes even The Emerald City misses the mark.




We noticed that the farther away from the city center we got the fewer people we passed on the sidewalk but, as we neared Westlake Park, the foot traffic picked up measurably.

Because . . . 



. . . Santa is coming to town!!!



Noticing the signs of the city, this one is ubiquitous; it really is. Honestly, how many cups can you drink in a day? More importantly for me, is how many cups can you afford in a day?

Coffee's good but, c'mon, a $1.75 for a small coffee?

Hahahaha, I guess my affection for keeping my money in my wallet is showing again.



The city streets are singing with the season's greetings.



As we headed up Pine, the foot traffic picked up again. I am surprised at the number of people that shop downtown. I wouldn't have thought it a shopping destination for anyone other than some google-eyed tourists.

I be wrong!!



And it was busy!!



As we were coming up Pine, we saw this 'window display'. Who wouldn't want to stop and watch Santa Claus hearing the Christmas wishes of a little girl?

Look at that sign in the upper left corner of the window!! Can you believe it!?!?! 

Hahahaha, I'm sorry, but my kids would have to look for another Santa.



Then, as we were standing there, these 'little' kids came up for their picture with Santa. My first thought was, "I bet their Mom put them up to this!" and, sure enough, Mom was over to the side, watching the goings on carefully.

Hahaha, they were good eggs about it and let the photographer pose them all.



We'd finished the first half of our adventure . . . to Glazer's and back. The next half was a visit to an art gallery near Pioneer Square.

So off we went to the Pioneer Link Station. Here's the exit from the link looking down 2d Avenue.

I'd seen the show advertised in the Seattle Times and thought it looked interesting. Actually, the featured artist did pastel scenes from Eastern Washington that really reminded me of some of the pictures I took of that area when we traveled down  State Route 26.

You'll see.



Loving the zoom . . . even if you aren't.

Looking down Yesler Way towards the Sound.



This city is so great that just about everything is within walking distance. It was only about a quarter of a mile from the Link to this Gallery. 

There it is, Davidson Galleries. They were having a bit of a face-lift to the old building. 



I am slowly becoming aware that not everyone thinks my taking pictures inside their businesses is as swell an idea as I do. Although why they get their knickers in a knot is beyond me . . . not really. I'm not that thick.

I thought they'd not take too warmly to my taking pictures of their artwork so I didn't even try. But I did feel it'd be OK to get this picture of the entrance into their Gallery.



And this one, to give you an idea of how the gallery is set up. A really nice gallery and their exhibits are well-displayed . . . although, to be honest, most of their stuff left me cold. I guess I don't have a good enough eye for modern art.



I thought this was fair game since it was displayed in the window of the Gallery. It gives you a small idea of what the other pieces of art were like.

But the pictures we went to see were a lot different . . . 



They were by Leslie Williams Cain and the show was titled,

My Hills - New Pastels on Paper

She's based in Eastern Washington and uses pastels to capture the shifting light on the land,the wind blowing in the grasses and ripples moving on water's surface, highlighting the complex and rich textures of this state's landscape. The artist works and reworks her images, first sketching lines, then kneading the pigment into the surface to create broad planes of deep color.

And what struck me was that I felt she was seeing what I had seen when I travelled through that same part of Eastern Washington. The same songs that sang to her while she was creating were singing to me, too.

Here's a few of the works she had on display (I got them from the internet). You might be able to see a similarity between my pictures and her pastels.

Hahaha, regardless, I saw it. It's one of the things that excited me so much about the area we were driving through down State Route 26 in Eastern Washington . . . enough that I want to go back and visit that area again with my camera.

          Above Cash Hollow, 2014          $3500

          Harvest Moonrise, 2014          $1800

          Reservoir Road, 2014          $2500

And here are some of my pictures. Kinda like hers. 

          The Winding Road, 2014          Hahahaha, if you want it just ask.

          The Road Less Traveled, 2014          Hahahaha, ask!!

          Wing, 2012          $3200


          Duck Soup, 2014          Hahahaha, again, just ask.

Anyway, that's why we went to that gallery. And it was interesting. I liked the pastels but I wasn't really impressed with the rest of the exhibit. 

Then, coming out we headed towards the Link at the International/Chinatown Station. As we were crossing 2d Avenue I saw this. There's my favorite tower in Seattle, the Smith Tower. 

Actually, I like this picture as I got the Smith Tower and the Columbia Center in the picture with some interesting light. Smith was once the tallest skyscraper in Seattle and now that title belongs to the Columbia Center.

Look at the top of the Smith Tower . . . see the pyramid? That's an apartment and the folks that live there ride the elevator up to the observation deck and then walk up a flight of stairs to get to their three-story apartment. 

It'd be a real kick to have that apartment. 


Same street, I just turned around to get this shot of CenturyLink Field where the Super Bowl Champion Seattle Seahawks will play this Sunday when they beat the Rascally Rams of St. Louis.

Gooooooo, 'Hawks!!




Walking up Jackson towards the Link, you get this dramatic shot of the King Street AmTrak Station with the Glass Box Building, CenturyLink and SafeCo Field in the background.



And I saw this . . . I have a Granddaughter named Addison, they call her Addie.



And just because it is such a beautiful building, we stopped in to marvel, again, at the terminal at the Union Station. Carol is standing by the bench the gangsters shot full of holes way back in the Roaring Twenties.



It really is an architectural gem, isn't it? Directly in front of us are the doors that used to lead to the train tracks. The building is now the main office for Sound Transit.

Lucky dogs.



Details of the walls inside the Union Station.



And, finally, to the Link at International/Chinatown.

What an interesting day and, best of all, it didn't rain on us.

It's a pleasant way to spend a day, just knocking around and following our noses to new adventures.



We enjoyed our walk back to the Hole-In-The-Ground but, to be honest, we were both ready to stop walking. 

All in all, it was a great day.

But it wasn't over yet. Not by a long shot. 

Hahaha, my son, Joe, sent us a gift card to dine out and so, for a Christmas Eve Treat, we went to the. . . 


The Bahama Breeze. It was the first time for both of us and, well, we were both impressed.

It was, quite frankly, the best wait service we've experienced in the past year. Really great service.

Well done, BB!!


After we'd gotten seated and gotten our drink orders we settled down to the hard business at hand . . . what to get!!

It's always a hassle, this trying to get something you'll enjoy. Well, it's always a hassle for me. Hahaha, I'm the kinda guy that says, at the end of the meal, I shoulda got . . . 

I hate those kinda guys and do not enjoy being one myself. I tend to be predictable in selecting meals so I don't end up disappointed and in that vein, I'm trying to broaden my choices. Oh, I'll always opt for a Reuben if it's available, but when it isn't I'm trying to try something other than a hamburger.

And so, I went for the Key West Fish Tacos. 

Looks good, eh!?!


And this one got . . . the same thing!!

Hahahaha, we'll experiment but we'll do it very carefully.

Hahahaha, we're a couple of adventurers, that's for sure!!


One thing about the Bahama Breeze that we were in was that it was . . . dark, moody, dramatic. Not a lot of light there.

The other pictures I got were way too wobbley to be shown here.


Here's Carol's dish . . . she got her's with a side of Black Beans and Rice.


And me? I am willing to color outside the lines a bit but, not too far. I got some fries.

Comfort food.

I liked the presentation. Nicely done so the food looked as tasty in person as it did on the menu.


And it was good. It didn't knock my socks off but I enjoyed it.

All of it.


Thanks, Joe and Sara, we enjoyed it . . . a lot!!

And we made it a point to talk to the manager before we left and compliment him on his staff and their service. 


We were pretty stuffed by the time we left the restaurant and so we decided to go for a walk. The Mall is right next to the BB and so we thought we'd go in and see what all the people, and the parking lots were almost all full, were up to on this late hour on Christmas Eve.

Seriously, what's up with that?


As we were coming into the Nordstrom's, we enjoyed their window displays.

Nicely done, Nordstrom.


And they had some other impressive displays.

#wishfulthinking


And I'm always on the look-out for some beautiful Christmas Trees and found these at the inside entrance to the store.

Again, nicely done.


A nice display, but what really caught our attention was this topiary Christmas Tree.

Novel approach to an old favorite.

Oh, we also found out why everyone was there . . . they had price reduced signs on nearly everything in the store!!

#bonkers


Almost went in . . . almost.  Whew, I was strong and dodged that bullet.


So we strolled down the Mall marveling at all the goings on.


These guys all had a customer.


And then, BAM!! there was this scene of controlled bedlam!!

Santa Claus came to town!!


I don't think this line was four hours long like the other Santa's but it was still pretty substantial.

You can't see it here, but the little girl in Santa's lap isn't at all happy about it. She's just now getting ready to let everyone within a five-mile radius know just how unhappy she is with the whole thing.


They started closing the doors while we were there. WTH!?! It was only 1800!! Still plenty of time to sell!! My guess is those Socialist Unions made 'em close early.

#sarcasm


Still, it was fun and something I've never, ever done before!! Going into a Mall on Christmas Eve. Heck, I don't much like them on an ordinary evening.

It wasn't all that bad but it sure was busy. As Carol says, it was much more fun watching it than having to be one of those anguished shoppers.

And so, tummies full, and errands run, we went back to get ready for a visit from Ol' Saint Nick.

Life is good.




     Hooah!!     


No comments:

Post a Comment