Sunday, March 1, 2015

An Early Birthday Lunch - 2/28/15

Or - Wrapping Up the Loose Ends 

A bit of catch-up, last Wednesday we loaded up the mini with boxes and stuff we've been storing in the garage and drove on down to Lincoln City (hereafter known as LCO - for Lincoln City, Oregon), to sign for the house and drop off the extra stuff. My idea is to take the move in as many small bites as I can in order not to wear myself out. There's only so many loaded trips from the house to the moving van this ol' boy can handle in one day. The fewer trips there are the more chance I'll have of getting the job done.

So, there we were, in the new house. And, believe it or not, this is the only shot I got of the trip down that would fit into this blog. 

We're in the front room. The front door is to the right. I put the camera up on the mantelpiece for this shot. We're standing where I'll be putting my desk, files, printer, etc. My little corner. If I turn around in my chair, I'll be able to look out at the ocean. the couch will probably go right in front of where we're standing.

Ah, so many things to do


But there's one thing I can do right now . . . and that is to celebrate Carol's birthday!!

Unfortunately, her actual birthday is on the Tuesday we're moving. Bummer.

However, today I can celebrate and so Carol and I are heading out to her favorite restaurant for her favorite dinner, Fish 'N Chips.



And along the way, we were able to enjoy on this bright, sunny but still a bit chilly Seattle Day, a hint of the beauty that Spring promises.



Thank-you, Mrs. Maynard!!

Hahaha, I've told this story before but whenever I see a dandelion, I think of good Ol' Mrs. Maynard. She's the good soul who, while trying to treat her husband's illness, brought into the Great American Northwest the lowly, destructive and ubiquitous dandelion.

Whenever I see a field of these yellow lovelies, I offer up a sincere, heartfelt, heavily sarcastic and hopefully insulting thank-you to the good Mrs. Maynard.


Thank you, Mrs. Maynard!!
Mind you, these little beauties are, from leaf to leaf, a wee bit smaller than a nickel.


But even this small, you can still see the beauty in Mother Nature's handiwork.





And from that wonder of nature, to this one. A Rockin' Red Robin!!

Hahaha, this brassy guy was on the sidewalk and as we approached he flew up to this fence where he gladly posed for me. 

Lookin' good, Señor Robin!!

Fun Facts:  The American Robin is a long-time icon of Spring. He's also the National Bird of Great Britain. Wha . . . !?!

I didn't know that!!

He's also the State Bird for Connecticut, Michigan and Wisconsin.

In the violent past, Robins were killed for their meat, believe it or not. But now they're protected in the U.S. thanks to the Migratory Bird Act.

And this final Tasty Trivia Tidbit!! Although the comic-book superhero Robin was inspired by an illustration of Robin Hood, a later version had his mother nicknaming him Robin because he was born on the first day of Spring.



This was a day of lasts for us. Possibly the last day we'll be traveling the Link as residents of Seattle, it was also the last day we'll be able to ride the rails for just Seventy-Five Cents. Yeah, that's right. Tomorrow, March 1st, the fare for old folks like me will go up to $1.

Those *@%$!$(@ government creeps!! 

Hahaha, I always get upset when someone else reaches their hand into my wallet. 




   Othello Link Station Selfie!!   

Won't have too many more selfies here, either. Hahaha, I do get nostalgic, don't I!?!

          CB

Hahahaha, and yet another!! After this week, we won't have to go to the Empire Speed Wash or, as I call it, the United Nations of Laundromats.

To be fair, the Empire, run by a Russian family, is always clean, neat and well-maintained. Albeit a bit pricey. Like the Link, they've raised their prices, too. Hahahaha, everyone is getting their meaty fist into my wallet.


   Ridin' the Rails Selfie!!   

I am gonna miss the Link. Quick, convenient and, as of today, relatively inexpensive, it opened the doors to loads of fun and adventures for us. It laid Seattle at our feet and, to our credit, we used it.



Speaking of which, here's the first view of The Emerald City as we came out of the tunnel from the Beacon Hill Link Station.



There's always an interesting milieu when we ride the rails. We were also entertained by a rather loud person proclaiming for all to hear that he wasn't arrogant! No, he sure wasn't because he was totally humble! 

And he told everyone time and time again. A lot!!

Hahahaha, keen fun, I tell you.



   Riding the Rails Selfie, Part II!!   

Hahaha, Carol's become quite the photographer with her little cell phone camera. We had plenty of these.

          CB

It was Carol's day and she wanted to have lunch first and then take care of our chores and so we got off at Pioneer Square because our favorite Irish Pub was just down the block and round the corner.

Heading up the escalator to . . . a great Irish Lunch!!



Looking down Second towards CenturyLink Field.



   Smith Tower Reflected Window Selfie!!   

Hahahahaha, we're shameless. 



Here's the Birthday Girl eager to get to her Fish 'N Chips.



Jeff was our friendly waiter today. Here he's waiting for Carol to have her picture taken with her Birthday Gift from O'Donnell's. We're members of the O'Donnell's Fan Club and they send up announcements on events and specials they're having and they sent Carol a Coupon for a Free Birthday Dinner.

Woo, woo!!

Thanks!!



I really enjoy the feel and look of the restaurant. Plus the friendly service.



I hope you noticed the SeaHawks T-Shirt Jeff was wearing. You know who to root for in this bar.



Hahaha, it never ends. They might be Irish, but they know their American sports, too.



Here's the Birthday Girl with her Fish 'N Chips!!

And, because it was her Birthday dinner, they gave her an extra piece of fish with her order.



And me? Hahaha, I'm as predictable as Carol. I got myself another Reuben. 

Mmmmmmm, corned beef.



Hahaha, I was a happy camper, too. Hahaha, and why not!?! A tasty Reuben and all the DC I could drink? Oh, and bottomless fries, too.

OK, I know better than to eat a lot of fries so I just had the one order of fries. I was hankering for some more but . . . I was strong.

          CB
Mmmmmm, corned beef

Ah, O'Donnell's. Getting itself ready for March 17th!! 

I am gonna miss the St. Patrick's Day Celebrations here in The Emerald City.



Adios, O'Donnell's. 

Hopefully, we'll visit again.



And you just step out their door and look to the north, to the right, you can see the Space Needle. An easy walk of less than two miles.



Hahaha, I got a thing for the street lights along the streets in The Emerald City. Someday I hope to get a good shot of them. Y'all stay with me 'til then, ya hear!?!



And Pioneer Square.

It was a glorious day. Bright, beautiful, blue and just a bit chilly. Just right.

That's the pergola on the left and the street lights line up in front of the office buildings. The Totem is in the middle with an old factory smokestack visible just to the left of it but it is across the street from the Square.



And was we approached, Carol saw an old friend.

Yeah, it was Kerry. He was back at work producing original Street Art.

He'd just finished a small painting on acrylic.

Fancy. But, as you'll see, this wasn't our only brush with art today. 



Carol and Kerry got into a good discussion of his artwork.



And me? I was trying to capture some of the beauty of the Square. Like this small detail from the corner building on the Square.



And just up from the Square, Cafe Bengodi. I'll have to postpone my visit to get some pizza here. Still, it looks like it might have some good food.

Next time, maybe.



Ah, Spring. The City is planting daffodils, a springtime favorite.



Carol saw this and had to have a picture. Hahaha, you can bet this is one law that she'll ignore. Each and every chance she gets.



We won't be seeing sights like this around our new neighborhood.

We'll be less than a half mile away from Highway 101 and I'm gonna say that in the summertime Ol' 101 will look a lot like First Avenue in Seattle. I am definitely not looking forward to the summertime traffic. 

Damn tourists.

Hahahahaha.



And we stopped by the Diva Dolls Store so Carol could get a last look at the retro fashions.



The theme for this version of their window display must have been Bad Girls. They had a bunch of cards and poker chips and a strategically placed flask of some bootleg Hooch.



One of Carol's favorites . . . one that, as Carol put it, Lucille Ball might have worn on an I Love Lucy episode.

Hahaha, I can see that.



Hahaha, I love this city. Here's the Columbia Tower, er, ah, towering over The Emerald City.

Impresionante, no?


Annnnnd, a window. You can read a lot of personality out of a window.



And reflections. 

Note the name of the structure . . . No, not the 7-Eleven. The other one to the left of the 7-Eleven.



Looking south down First Avenue.



And as we were walking up First, what should come by but a Duck Truck.

Quack, quack!

They're always fun.



And the Old Federal Office Building.

Fun Facts: According to local tradition, this old building is located on the site where the city founders docked their boat after making the initial surveys of Puget Sound in 1851. 

On June 6, 1889, the Great Seattle Fire, which destroyed more than 64 acres of the commercial district, started in a cabinet shop at the site of the Old Federal Office Building.

Seattle rebuilt after the fire and, in 1897, its port became the Gateway to Alaska for the Gold Rush. As the city grew, the feds decided to consolidate the location of its services. In 1928, Congress approved more than $2 million for the land and construction. This was the result. It was one of the earliest federal buildings in the Art Deco Style.

Construction was completed in 1933. It was the first building in Seattle designed specifically to house offices for the federal government. 

And it was here where I applied for my Social Security. 

Woo, woo!!

          Internet

Still quite a beauty, eh?


Just some of the great architectural details you can find everywhere here.



Then we stumbled by this treasure . . . 


We were standing outside talking about the art displayed in the windows when . . . 


. . . we were invited in. And in we went!!


Alki Arts opened its doors in 2010 on Alki Beach, West Seattle. It's a family run business that, as they put it, sprang from love . . . of art, the community and the local artists. This is their third location.

And they highlight local artists.

Now I want to give credit but I didn't note each artist when I took the picture. I'm gonna try and match them up but I might get them wrong. My apologies, it was unintentional.

That said, I believe these, and these two were among my favorites, are by Robin Weiss. He works en plien air and does oils on panels. I didn't know that term, en plien air. It means the painter paints in the open air, at the scene of the picture, not in a studio. 

His emphasis is on using light and color to create a scene that grabs your eye and pulls you in to experience what he calls, the atmosphere of the place.

El Malecon

$330


This reminds me a lot of the shot I took of two young men lounging about in Columbia City.

The Conversation

$350


Here's the shot I mentioned above, the one of the two men sitting on the newspaper stands in Columbia City from way back in 2010.



This was a small room off to the side of the main entrance. All the artists shown here are, as we've already mentioned, from the Seattle area. I know this shows my lack but I was unaware there were so many good artists just in this area.

Duh.



My favorite in this room. This one was created by Brooke Brocherding. She works in landscape oil paintings and works at deconstructing the images in her studio.

Twarn't cheap, neither.

None of them were, really.

Cutting Through

$1,400



These pieces were set on the floor along a wall. There were more in this series but I just shot this detail of them. These ceramic spheres were created by Garrison Cloverdale. They make great garden art.



Carol calls these cartoons. She isn't far off the mark. The lines are so simple it makes me feel like I could do this, too. Then I realize the craft and skill that is shown in these carefully placed lines and I know it's a lot more difficult than it appears.

This was done by Kate Anthony. She uses Japanese sum color and ink on paper and has her friends pose for her.

Terre In Rainbow Dress

$1,450



I really liked this one. At first, I was thinking it was by Patri O'Connor but I couldn't find it in her collection. So I don't know the artist but I do know I like it. I like the attention to detail in an abstract way. 



Crosswalk at First

Palete knife oil on cradled panel.

$5,380

Uh, 'cuse me . . . How much!?!?!

This wasn't a favorite. Wasn't close. But, good golly!! Someone thinks it is good.

I'm sorry, I'm not a fan of this even though I can recognize what it represents.


Are you sure this is $5,380?

This was done by Michael Birder.

OK. Here's what it says about his art . . . A combination of graffiti, cartoon, illustration and heavy textures, his paintings have been described as, one of the best examples of the contemporary revival of urban art.

I still say it's not great art until you convince someone it is great art.

I'm not convinced with this style. Carol really dislikes it. I think he's onto something with the color and the cartoonish style but it's the distortion of everything that throws me off. Maybe once or twice but he does this wavy thing in each and every painting he makes. He works with acrylic mostly on wood.

If you like this one it's only $5,200.



He is also prolific. 



Chicago River

$5,200



And I can recognize where he is painting at. 

The Fremont Troll.

See, everything is wavy. Everything!!



The window displays get a lot of attention from the street.



The next two are by Patric O'Connor.

She was among my favorites, too. 

I like the way she pays attention to detail in an abstract way. You can see the reality but it is enough removed from reality that you can put in other things that interest you. 

Morning Commute

$2,800



Selfie

$700

Oil on canvas.



Lezlie Jane is a sculptor. She created a large public piece for Alki Beach. It connects the waterfront of a 100 years ago to the visitor of today. And you can get these Maquettes of the life size sculpture for your own connection.

Luna Girls

Fun Fact: I just looked it up and a Maquette is a French (big surprise there, eh?) term which roughly translates as a small scale model or rough draft of an unfinished sculpture.

I am learning sooooo much because of this blog. Sooooooo much!!

$300 each or you can get a set of three for just $810.


These are by Karen Dedrickson. Now, I am not trying to make fun but I do wonder at how some of these folks create. Not being overly creative myself must lend itself to my failure, my abject failure to understand what they're talking about.

Here's her explanation for her art: These birds and I have a unique relationship. They are revealing the complex qualities of being human with the most basic of art materials.

This initial inspiration came from the ancient art of Chinese calligraphic painting.

One stands before a table, knees are relaxed; the painting begins from the center of the body down to the wrist. The whole arm moves with intention. Eyes are softly focused on the paper.

I may paint or draw one bird many times before I see the perfect one. But it's best when I am not thinking, it creates itself- landing finished on the surface. Their simplicity is their power. These birds are a sublime statement of skill and accident in one moment.

Wha . . . !?!?!

OK, I don't get it. I guess it's beyond my ken to understand. It leads me back to my belief that a lot of what passes for art does so because of the ability of the Artist to sell their ideas about their work rather than the work itself.

Ahhhh, or maybe it's just sour grapes on my part.

Rain Birds

$290 each


More work by Garrison Cloverdale.




We had a good time in the Gallery. I enjoy discussing the art with Carol. Most times we agree but it is interesting when we don't.  Hahahaha, both of us could use a good art class but we'll just keep on with what we have.


Let's get back to real life.

It was still a glorious day.



Light playing on a wall in a restaurant.

This work suggests the interplay between man and nature. Rather than work at defining the scene for my viewer I simply 'capture' the moment and allow the public to define it for themselves. 

Hahahaha, what a load of crap!!



OK, Spring is springing out all over and it is mah-volous!!

Especially when it is contrasted against an old wall.

It may have looked a lot better in person.




Hey, the Pike Place Market. 

Always a shot here.



Love this Big City. 



Seattle Street Scene with Sound.



And we arrived at our destination.

Jeff wants quilt patches that represent something about me so I thought I'd give him an olive drab square with a U.S. Army Patch and an Armor Center Patch on it. I thought it topical as I was stationed at the U.S. Army Armor Center when Jeff was born.



Purchase made, we began strolling back towards the Link down the tree-lined avenue.

Oh, I am feeling very philosophical and eloquent after visiting the art gallery.



Isn't this cool?

Seriously, I feel like a tourist from Cornfield, Nebraska walking around the city with my head on a swivel looking up but I see some of the neatest things.




The Virginia Inn at the corner of First Avenue and Virginia Street. Someday I may eat there. Someday.

Bucket list?



Hey, I'm game!! Let's do it, let's make some carpet magic!!

   Carpet Magic Reflected Window Selfie!!   

And we got the Sound in the background.





Light.



Another Happy Accident. 

OK, Carol was lukewarm but I thought this was a great Happy Accident. I like it.

Course, we all know my taste is all in my mouth so my liking it doesn't mean a lot here.



Ah, the friendly and law-abiding denizens of Westlake Park.

Always there.

Always.



OK, last trip on the Link, I got the idea to take a picture of each station.

This is graphic proof that just because you get an idea and it sounds really good in your head it might not be such a bad idea to put a little bit of planning into it before you do it.

It just might.

Here they are, from north to south. From downtown towards home.

#1 - Westlake



#2 - University Street



#3 - Pioneer Square

Or, as I call it, Pi Squared.

(Cuz I'm wonderfully witty is why.)


#4 - International District/Chinatown



#5 - Stadium


#6 - SODO

Quick, what does SODO stand for?


#7 - Mount Baker



#8 - Columbia City




Hahahaha, like I said, it sounded a lot better in my head and it is proof that sometimes you really do need to do some planning to get a better result.

There it is. We stopped at each and every one. Some more than others.

It was a good day. We had a great lunch and then an enjoyable walk through the city. Got to see a lot of good art and great architecture. Got to experience The Emerald City once again.

Now it is time to get ready for the Big Move.

Argh!! I hate the Big Move.

But, how often do you get to live next to the beach?

I know.

Life is an adventure.

And, life is good.




     Hooah!!     




No comments:

Post a Comment