Friday, April 3, 2015

Cape Meares - 4/2/15

Or: We'll Keep a Light On...


One of the daunting tasks of being retired is having to figure out what you're going to do with your time. It's a day-to-day struggle that we're learning to deal with here in LCO.

And we've learned that we must plan our days around the rain. Have I mentioned it rains here. Real rain, not that faux rain we usually get in Seattle. And I've learned to watch the weather reports rather religiously here. For example, I saw where Thursday it was suppose to be a 'rain-free day!!' Hahaha, it's funny how you start to view things when you're looking for things to do. Anyway, I saw an opportunity, a rain-free day and so I began looking for things we could do.

Oh, that's another thing. Most everything we do now involves, in part or in toto, being outdoors. That's why the rain plays such a huge factor in what we plan to do.

So we were presented with an opportunity, the chance to spend the day outside without rain. Exciting!!

I had seen, in the local newspaper, The News Guard, published once a week on Wednesdays, that they are going to have a bird-watching walk today.

AHA!! Eureka!! Gadzooks!

As Sherlock would say, The game is afoot!!

And so, as these two events converged we saw our chance and we grabbed it!!

Carpe Diem, y'all!!

So there was a guided bird walk beginning at the Lincoln City Cultural Center (LC3) beginning at 0900. Game on!! 

The next question was, what to do with the rest of the day? Ah, will these difficult decisions never end!?!

We've been to two lighthouses here in Oregon so far. Both of them within 25 miles of our place and so I thought, why not add a third lighthouse to the collection. And, conveniently enough, there's yet another lighthouse just less than 50 miles to the north.

Woo, woo!!

So, there you are. See how difficult it is having to plan your day and then having to go and have fun. Whew!! It's exhausting.

OK, now that I've gotten that off my chest we can get to the meat of the matter, so to speak, the actual day.

And so we got up, got dressed and got on over to the LC3 where we met up with our band of intrepid Birders. (I don't know what bird-watching groups call themselves either formally or informally so I am going with the term, Birders.)

We had a nice meet up in the parking lot. A little meet and greet where everyone introduced themselves and then the fun began right away. We were standing there in a circle introducing ourselves when someone exclaimed, "Look! There's a Flicker!"

POW!!

Just like that we were off. We saw a Northern Flicker near a telephone wire and then he flew on over to the roof of the LC3.



Hahaha, how cool is that!?! I sorta like our Red-Shafted Flicker better...a bit more color. 

Who knows, we just put out some suet so we might get this fellow to come on over to our place for lunch.

I am terrible at names. Unless the name slaps me in the face, I have a hard time recalling them. I apologize, but it's one of the facts of my life. So here's Mark, one of the co-leaders, talking with Carol about the House Finch we saw at our feeders the other day. The good woman to the right is the other leader. I'm not always good with names but I think hers is Caren. I'm just not fast enough to catch all the names being thrown at me in a group meet like that.



And after some polite chit-chat and getting to know each other, we were off. The LC3 sits in front of the Devils Lake State Park and it was an easy walk on over to the park itself. This is where we spent most of our time on this trek.



There were 12-14 of us in this little group and the average age was probably around 65 or so. Hahaha, we fit right in. And they moved at just the right pace. 

In fact, although we were allegedly a group, everyone felt comfortable enough to sorta move along at their own speed...and sometimes go in slightly different directions. 



From the Flicker to this...a Merlin Falcon.

I was at a bad angle for this shot as he was backlit but you get the idea. Hahaha, yeah, we spotted one. 

This spotting caused a good bit of excitement among our group. Evidently, it was the first Merlin seen around these parts this year.

Fun Facts: The Merlin Falcon was once known as the Pigeon Falcon because it looks and flies like a pigeon. A bird of prey, it normally hunts perching songbirds and shorebirds. An aggressive bird, it has been known to attack, among other things, eagles, trains and cars.

Feisty little bugger, ain't he!?!


Carol suggested I include a better picture of the Merlin. I had to agree as the one I shot is about as informative as to the looks of this bird is as Josh Ernest is about Obamacare or the Iran Nuclear Deal. Yeah, that good.

More Fun Facts: Smart little buggers, breeding pairs will hunt together with one flushing out the prey for the other to take. Like most raptors, the female is considerably larger than the male. This allows males and females to hunt different prey animals and decreases the territory size needed to feed a mated pair.
                Internet

Whew!! First a Flicker and now a Merlin. We were cooking!!



Here's a Yellow-Rumped Warbler. During their Spring Molt, they don a dazzling mix of bright yellows, charcoal gray and black.



Most everyone else was involved with looking up. I was interested in the birds but I admit I am also easily bored and equally easy to be distracted.

So as they gazed up, I turned my eye around the park and, sometimes, down. There's Devils Lake in the distance. One of the ladies gave us some good info about kayaking. Seems the best time to go out is well before 1100, when the winds kick up. Also, if you have a kayak ten feet or longer then you must license it in the State of Oregon.

Wha...!?!

#@&@$#%$@ Government.



And, looking down, I got this and then rendered it in B&W. I have no idea what it is, but it did catch my eye.



Here's another shot but in color...hahaha, I guess that's obvious. Well, no one ever said I was smart.


And then we saw this guy!! Another Anna's Hummingbird. 

Amazingly, this guy sat on the branch for a good while, 45 seconds to a minute, allowing everyone to get a picture.

Nice guy.



The group was at the edge of the lake looking up and around and I was just looking. This Devils Lake is around 650 acres big. A very good sized lake for the city. Here's some of the shoreline.



And the dock for the State Park.



Looking along the shore in the opposite direction.

Look at that water...perfect for some lazy kayaking.



Whup!! Then we spotted a Redwing Blackbird.

This fellow was, we think, building a nest. He stayed in that general area in the brush for a good while. Unfortunately, I couldn't get as clear a shot as I wanted.

Fun Facts: A songbird, the Redwing Blackbird has, like all songbirds, four toes on each foot with three facing forward and one backward. Redwings have excellent vision and hearing but they have a poor sense of smell. I wonder how the scientists figured that one out? 

Sometimes Redwings attack red things near their territory. They'll fly at and sometimes even bonk people wearing red hats or shirts if they enter their territory.



There they are. Nice park, eh?



Hey!! There's the Redwing Blackbird!! Hahaha, thanks, buddy!!



My best picture of the day. A Song Sparrow.



And it was so good, I included another one...just for you.

You're welcome.


What'chu lookin' at, Willis!?!

It should be obvious by now that I will never tire of that line from the old TV Show, Different Strokes. The immortals will always have a place in my blogs.


Then we walked on over to the boat launch. Here's where we will be putting our kayaks into the water. Hahaha, I predict many embarrassing moments getting into and out of the kayaks for us. I was never graceful as a young man and I am even less so these days. Hahaha, I just hope nobody is filming when we launch.



It wasn't a bad morning. A little breezy and cool.



After our walk, we were invited to come into the LC3 and see the Bird Show the Society was sponsoring. The sign is next to some kick-butt rhododendrons. The LC3 is housed in the former Taft Elementary School. You can tell it's an old school house. It has that feel.


I don't know exactly what I was expecting, but this exhibit was much, much better than whatever that was. 

They really did a nice, professional job of presenting the art.


One of our favorites was this picture of a flock of Redwing Blackbirds taking off. Carol remarked that this would be a world-class puzzle. As a puzzle, it would drive me crazy.



Some of the other pictures on display. These were in the entryway.



The exhibit had a lot of interesting work. I saw one picture that had I the $75 I would have bought it. It was a beautiful scene of two cranes on a river in the early morning mist. Great stuff.


I was very impressed. Some quality stuff.




They also had these set up in the entryway. I guess each fish represents a donor to the Center. 



And they had a gift shop in the Center, too. A lot of work from local artists is available there.





Including glass floats. We got some good tips about the floats. They have 20 Float Fairies that place the floats along their assigned sector of the beach and there is no regular schedule for placing them. In other words, Fairy #4 will decide to go and put out his floats on Tuesday and then Fairy #16 will put his out on Thursday and so on. 

I had thought they'd put them out on Saturdays for the touristas but I was wrong. Well, that helps. We also got some good tips for where to look as well.

Hahahaha, who knows, maybe someday we will find one.



Carol got into a good conversation with this lady from our bird walk. She gave us some good tips about finding the floats. Carol asked her if she'd pose for a picture with her because she reminded Carol of her good friend and cousin, Adrienne.

Also she had a great looking vest. It's hard to see in this picture but it is covered with lighthouses. She had found the fabric and then made this vest for herself. She mentioned that she gets a lot of compliments on it and that she should probably make some to sell. I know I'd be buying a couple if she did.



We asked if they had one of these for sale but, alas, no. Seems it was a one-time only promotion. She did suggest we tell the Chamber of Commerce that it was time for another run. I'd like one.




After the walk and the Photo Exhibit, we were off for another adventure. We've been exploring our local area and so far, we've been able to visit two of the eleven Oregon Lighthouses. Today, in that vein, we're going up to visit #3, the Cape Meares Lighthouse.

On the road, again!!


I've gotten a bit better about speeding from one place to the next. I've been working at taking my time, driving the speed limit and trying, as much as I can and still drive safely, to see the passing scenery. I'm enjoying the heck out of it, too.

We're pulling over more often and just breezing along is so much more relaxing. I try to be considerate and when I notice a stack of cars behind me I'll try to pull over and let them all pass.  Hey! I'm a nice guy, and thoughtful, too. 



Passing through a small town, we stopped at a local grocery for a soda. What a bunch of bandits!! A Diet Coke cost $2.19!!!

Judas Priest!! They're charging .40 cents more than what they're selling them for in WalMart. So much for support your local businesses.

Anyway, when I walked out after being robbed, I noticed this mural painted on the wall across the street from me. Just put a guy in there with a camera in his hands and it would be complete.


Happy now that I have a DC, we were on the road, again.



Some of the views, while fleeting, are really fantastic.



Further on down the road, we pulled over again. And this time we got a selfie.


Or two...
                CB


Hahahaha, Victory!!

                CB

We pulled over so we could see this rock formation. Each one has a cave in it. Love the zoom.



We pulled into Cape Lookout State Park just to see what it was like. I've got a pass from Oregon that, because of my veteran status and my disability, allows me free entry into any Oregon State Park. It's really a great thing...Thanks, Oregon!!

We didn't stay long, but we got to see the beach and do a little exploring. This one couldn't wait for the old man to get up the hill.



But I finally made it. Safari Jackie...headin' out on another adventure.
                CB

They had some great views. Of course there's the rocks in the ocean and then we got the trees along the beach.



Carol started combing the beach and found some intact sand dollars. Amazing!! I've never seen an intact sand dollar on the beach. Another first!! Now we have three sand dollars for our mantle.





After the State Park, we headed on and saw this small beach area. 

Punch Wagon!!

There were a lot of people there plus some guy with a hang glider...walking along the beach...carrying his hang glider...on the beach.



See!!


Another view of the Three Arches. In Three Arch Bay. Picture taken from Three Arches Beach.




We finally made it to our destination. I'm thinking that the drive up to the lighthouse was as much fun as it was visiting the old lighthouse. We took our time and enjoyed the ride.  

But we were there. Cape Meares Lighthouse.

Fun Facts: This lighthouse, at 38 feet, is one of the shortest on the west coast and the shortest in Oregon. It's located on a high, rocky cliff placing the light 217 feet above the ocean. It has a first order Henry Lapaute lens and is visible 21 miles out to sea.

This is funny; the light was originally intended to be located on Cape Lookout but due to a map maker's mistake in reversing the two names, construction was started on Cape Meares. Since the lighthouse was partially completed when the mistake was discovered, President Benjamin Harrison had to approve the completion of the lighthouse.

Constructed in 1889, it first cast its light out on January 1, 1890. There were three keepers for this light which consisted of a fire-wick kerosene lamp and an eight-paneled lens that had both red and clear panels to create a red flash every minute. Decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1963, it was replaced with a powerful electric beacon.



Now this is the irritating part. Please, direct your attention to the first sentence in the second paragraph. See where it says it is open daily...April through October? See it?

Well, so did I when I checked out the lighthouse the night before which was, if I recall correctly, April 1st.

Hahahaha, I am so doggone petty but this really irked me...


...because when we got there we were confronted with this sign. I know it's hard to see but there, on the second line it says the lighthouse is Closed for the Winter Season.

I know, you're like, But, what!?! Wait a minute, isn't it April the Second?

Why, yes. It is.

Hahaha, see the reason for my irritation? There were actually two rangers walking back up the path and I boldly confronted them to let them know of my keen disappointment...but I did it with that warm, witty Jackie-style humor that is my trademark and they didn't arrest me.



Undaunted, we went ahead. At least we'd get to see the outside of the doggone thing.

The park has been designated as a research natural area and protects one of the few remaining stands of coastal old growth forest in Oregon. The vertical sea cliffs provide nesting habitat for peregrine falcons and other seabirds such as cormorants, murres, stuffed puffins and migrating loons, grebes and flocks of shorebirds.

Unfortunately, all we saw were seagulls.


But the views were impressive.



It was a short 2/10ths of a mile walk down to the lighthouse. You can see the color pattern so the light was able to alternate between white and red light.



Another view of a rock formation just off the coast.







The Cape Meares Lighthouse (closed).



But it was a beautiful day and we had a lot to look at.



Like each other.
                CB

Hahaha, we're shameless.


It is a short thing, isn't it.



But it does the job.

More Fun Facts: The French hand-ground Fresnel Lens here is one of only two eight-sided lights in the United States - the other is in Hawaii.



Smart to remove the ladder when the lighthouse was closed. Because we weren't able to go inside (it was closed), I don't know if this is the only way to get up to the light. I wouldn't think so but, gosh, I don't know. 

Because the lighthouse was closed.
               Internet

There must not have been much to do in the way of entertainment back then but if they were awake during the day there were some pretty amazing sights to see. 



OK, lighthouse, we'll be back...maybe when you're open, eh?



Well, it was an easy walk down but now we had the job of going back up. They have two paths down to the lighthouse and since we had come down the north path, we walked back up on the southern path.





It was definitely worth the trip up to see the park. Hahaha, maybe next time we'll get to see the inside.



And you can't beat it for the views.



Back in the early 1900s, excursion boats would come by Cape Meares on the weekends and the passengers would shoot at the birds along the cliffs. The birds were in danger of extinction in this area. Two photographers, William Finley and Herman Bohlman used their influence with President Theodore Roosevelt who had the area declared a National Wildlife Refuge in 1907.



That's Herman on the left, cooking, and William is on the right, feeding some immature puffins.



Well, we thought we'd see all we could see...

But wait, there's more!!

We saw this sign and, honestly, who wouldn't want to go and see the Octopus Tree!?! 

We sure as heck did!!



And so we took off again. Regardless of whatever the tree looks like, it was worth it just for the walk through the woods.



Looking up to the heavens.


And, BAM!! We were there...and it was open!!



Fun Facts: No one is sure what forces shaped this unique Sitka spruce. It may have been natural events or, possibly, it was the Native Americans living here. No one is sure and it remains a tantalizing mystery. 

What we do know is the tree measures more than 46 feet in circumference and has no central trunk. Instead, limbs extend horizontally from the base as much as 16 feet before turning upward. 

The tree is around 105 feet tall and is estimated to be 250 to 300 years old.


Impressive!!



They have another lookout point just off from the tree and we could see the secluded beach below. I thought the beach inaccessible as neither Carol or I could see a path down to it but, evidently there is as there were some folks down there walking along the beach.





It's just a blast to see all the different things there.



That's the road, Cape Lookout Road, that we came in on. You gotta really love living out here because there isn't much around besides the views.



Driving back, we had to stop and take a gander of this small spit of land out in the bay. The tide was out when we stopped and we saw where you could walk over to this spot of land. Look close to the right and you'll see...



...where the water is shallow enough for the gulls to congregate on.



It was time to get on back home and so we drove on through until we got back. It was a bigger day than I had thought it would be and, honestly, I was pooped. 

It'd been fun but it'd also been a long day.


I'm liking this Highway 101. I know it'll be a bear to drive on come summer because of all the Touristas, (Hahaha, I can say that now because I am, after all, a Local), but for now it's been a lot of fun. And the thing is, we're still passing up places where we could stop even though we do stop a lot along the road.

So plan on coming on down and we'll take you on a tour of Oregon's Scenic Highway...and maybe, just maybe, if we're  real lucky, the lighthouse will be open. 

Because, with all this around us, there's a lot to do.

Life is good.





     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment