Tuesday, April 15, 2014

A Walk in Columbia City

We went for a walk to the gym in Columbia City (CC) and, as is my habit now, I took my camera with me.

Having this small, point and shoot, camera allows me to capture what I'm seeing. I used to walk along and try to see where the photographs were but it was an exercise I could only do in my mind as the camera I had then was too large to easily carry everywhere I went and shooting with film was just too darn expensive.

Now, however, I am always 'armed' and ready to shoot. I'm everywhere with the camera now because I can capture whatever images catch my eye and take as many pictures as I like. 

This is so great!!! Oh how I wish I had had digital as a young man. I would have been insufferable.

Anyway, these are some of the images I got yesterday walking through CC.

I've become a big fan of flowers...


I'm even noticing an improvement in my compositions. I'm 'seeing' better now. 


The wife of Doc Blanchard. one of the founders of Seattle, brought the dandelion out west so she could use it for medicinal purposes. 

The article I read about her said, "You can thank Mrs. Blanchard" for this particular pain in the bumkus and so now, every time I pass a robust crop of dandelions I always say, in my whiney and wheedling voice, "Thank you, Mrs. Blanchard!"

Thank you, Mrs. Blanchard.


Been down this road several times in my mini and NEVER saw this…purple house until yesterday during the walk. 

C'mon, really!?!

A purple house!?! 


We walked down Alaska from the Link Station on MLK and came into the park by the library near the Cultural Center.

It's a small park; it used to be a gully they had to build a foot bridge over. When they built the library, they filled it in and now it's a beauty.


Here's the Columbia Branch. The original library is small by today's standards and needs. They had to add an annex onto the back of this.

Still, you can see the original beauty in this building and the pride the people of CC must have felt when this was constructed.


Here it is, Rainier Ave through CC


Detail of the old buildings/


As we headed back, we went through the park again and I saw this Mom walking her kids.


Flowers, again. Some kind of flowering tree.


And tulips. These ranged from a gentle yellow to an almost white...


Seriously, it's so easy to get great pictures.


No God? Gimme a break. This doesn't just 'happen'!!!


So easy to shoot and get something nice.


They have houses on the West side of this park. This sidewalk goes along in front of them.


And we were outta there. A beautiful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment