Friday, May 8, 2015

Don't Leave Me Hanging - 5/7/15

Or - Don't Burn Your Bridges


It was just such a beautiful day. Even though we had nothing planned, we both felt we just had to get out and enjoy some of it because, well, just because. And so we did. We were told about a suspension bridge not far from us and so we decided to head out that way.

And the journey was just as interesting and fun as actually being at the bridge. First, we had to get off the beaten path and that meant that we took a country road that was, for the most part, a one-lane road. It was interesting and the scenery was great.


And, after pulling into the parking lot, we both knew it was going to be an interesting hike. You see, we had to hike in 1.25 miles to the bridge. Actually, the hike was the real reason for the whole venture. The bridge was just a highlight, something to define the turn-around point. It was interesting but it wasn't the end.

Just looking at the tree line from the parking lot we could tell it was going to be fun.


And, it was going to be long. We had been told that it was an easy trail, one we shouldn't have any problems with. Yeah, maybe when we were really young, like 60 or 61. Now, however, it was, well, I'll wait and let you see for yourself.


Let's go!!

And it was a good path. Well trod, it was reasonably smooth and gentle.


And it gave us a lot of opportunities to see some spectacular sights. This was actually my second shot from this spot. I had held my camera up at chest height and just shot. Then, thinking it over and realizing that the shot deserved just a bit more care I held it up and actually sighted in the shot I wanted. 

I like it.


There were numerous photo opportunities. Plenty of felled and fallen trees. I saw one but I couldn't get it right for a shot where a large tree had fallen over down a slope. The upturned base was covered with dirt and had small ferns and other plant growing out of it. 


And we even ran across (almost literally) some of the local wildlife. 


This fellow was smoking it across the foot path. He was actually moving along at a good clip. I could see him making progress.


There were plenty of these delicate mountain flowers over the forest floor.


And mountain streams making their way down.


The sunlight filtered through the tree tops illuminating the forest. and the spiderwebs.


And we continued on our way mostly, unfortunately, downhill. Oh, it was a gentle slope but it still moved down ... and that meant that when done in reverse, everything would be, unfortunately, going uphill. Argh!!!


I was having a good time enjoying the natural beauty of the forest.


And all the while this stream followed us along. It was something, listening, actually listening to the wind moving through the trees and then catching the gurgling sound of the stream moving along steadily. Then, at times, it would be completely quiet. Living by the ocean as we do, we never have complete quiet. There's always the sound of the waves, like a gently strumming machine, in the background of everything we do. 


I look so happy because I am slowly realizing that I will have to walk all the way back up to the Mini. And that isn't very high on my list of fun things to do.

CB

And then, finally, we caught our first glimpse of the bridge.


Fun Facts: The trail bridge spans Drift Creek with a 240 foot long bridge reaching from one wall of the canyon to the other, over 100 feet above the creek. The walkway surface is 3 feet wide. The bridge is supported by two 29 foot towers and anchored by bolts planted in rock on one side and in 29 cubic yards of concrete on the other. 


More Fun Facts: The bridge is dedicated to the late Scott Paul, a trail builder with the National Forest Service. Mr. Paul was the construction foreman on the early Forest Service portion of the construction. He died in a tragic rigging accident during construction. 


No hesitation here. She was off.


It is a stable bridge. Not much sway in it. Mostly you feel it in the handrails.  And, as you might expect, you get some spectacular views of the creek.

And I got that ol' acrophobia again. I felt unsure and it was like I was being pulled to the side of the bridge. Not an easy feeling for me. The funny thing was, even though I had my camera on a strap looped over my neck, I was filled with dread that I would drop it over the side. I had to put it down onto my chest because I was afraid of dropping it even though I logically knew that wasn't possible.

It's rough fighting invisible demons.


Fun Facts: Drift Creek Falls isn't a huge waterfall but it is pretty. the unofficially named North Fork of Drift Creek flumes through a short bedrock sluice then plunges 66 feet over the side of a gorge wall into the Drift Creek proper. 

The Forest Service built a 'very leisurely' trail to the falls in the 90s. If you cross over the bridge, you can take the trail down to the bottom of the gorge and the base of the falls.


Hahaha, doesn't look that imposing from this shot, does it.


This one scampered out to the center and began taking pictures with her cell phone. Then she went to the other side of the bridge.


I was quite happy going as far as I did and even happier when I went back.


Still, it is a beautiful place even if it was a bit too high for me.


And, typical tourists, we took pictures of each other. We've already established that we're shameless so why the surprise?


Look real steady and confident, don't I. 

Don't be fooled. I was neither.

CB

And this is the closest I'll get to seeing the view from the other side of the bridge.

CB

After we enjoyed the bridge, we began making our way back to the Mini.


The neat thing about toting a camera around everywhere you go is that you've got a built in excuse to stop while you're walking uphill and take a surreptitious break while you're taking a picture. Sometimes you can even 'pretend' to take a picture and get a break. And always, always, it's a good thing to study and consider your picture for a good while (until you get your breath back) before you snap that photo.

Ok, find the bug here.


I took a lot of pictures on the way back up to the Mini. A lot.


Got another bug here. This one is better camouflaged.


See? It wasn't crushing but it was an upward incline and, honestly, it was tough. Very tough. When I finally got back to the Mini, I was dragging. 

Ol' Jackie was pooped.


Now it was just a matter of going back. We could have driven further on and eventually come out just a bit south of LCO, but I wanted to go back and take another drive up along the Salmon River. Plus, I wanted to see the drive again from a different direction.


Hahaha, Ol' Smilin' Jack is just happy to still be alive after hiking back up from the bridge.


And I was able to get some nice views of the area from the top of the Coast Mountain Range.



And wend my way slowly down the mountain. One lane can be interesting especially with plenty of hairpin turns on the mountain.


But we made it down and stopped in Otis for a soda. Hahaha, I guess Otis is also known for its salmon fishing.


This guy pulled in as we were leaving. I think it's a '55 or '56 Ford Fairlane.


Highway 18 runs on the south side of the Salmon River and we've driven it a number of times now. There's a city road that runs along the river on the north side, in fact it's called N North Bank Road, and I wanted to drive that just to see what there was on that side and so that's what we did.


There wasn't much there, except for this old bridge and so we stopped there to take a look.


A nice surprise was this footpath built into the bridge. Evidently, there's a lot of fishing that goes on from this bridge and this little path serves as a sort of a pier from which to fish off of. I saw several pieces of fishing line lying around.


On the west side, the side with the walkway, it looks like they cut out a swimming pool under the bridge. Looked deep there. I was thinking that you could probably safely dive off the bridge into this pool.


On the east side is a little beach area. I think it'd be a great place for a picnic and some swimming in the river. The water here was between 8-10 feet deep and maybe deeper. I was thinking that if I were a younger man, a much younger man, I'd probably go for a dip here. 

Maybe we'll bring some friends out here for a lunch and a swim.


Plenty of parking available.


There wasn't much more to this road and shortly after this, we were headed home. Tired but happy.

I know I carp about the hike back up the trail but, it was totally worth it. It was a good walk and we got to see some of the Siuslaw National Forest. I'd even be willing, later ...  much later, to do the hike again. Oh, and don't believe these Forest Service guys when they say it's just 1.25 miles. It was more like 4 or 5 miles when I was trekking back up the hill.

Hahaha, even with that discrepancy, it was still fun.

Another adventure down and countless more to go.

Despite the uphill trails ...

Life is good.




     Hooah!!     


No comments:

Post a Comment