Thursday, July 9, 2015

Another Day - 7/8/15

Another Osprey...


Another day and another adventure. It's fun, y'know, when you see life as a series of adventures and not just as duties, tasks or chores to be done. It's a way of approaching things. It's your attitude.

I've always enjoyed this piece by Charles R. Swindoll and wanted to share it with you...


The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more important than facts. It is more important than the past, than education, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness or skill. It will make or break a company...a church...a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day. We cannot change our past...we cannot change the fact that people will act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one thing we have, and that is our attitude...I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it. And so it is with you...we are in charge of our attitudes.

You nailed it, Chuck.

Now, I am an imperfect being and while I recognize the absolute truth of Mr. Swindoll's statement I also recognize that I am all too often unable to follow it as well and as often as I would like. I am, after all, only too human. 

But I keep it in mind and when I can....

And so, these little trips, chores, tasks, duties all become adventures. I grab the camera and then we set out to do whatever it is that comes our way. Hahaha, I'm a Hippie-Lite. Sorta but not really.

It's the second Wednesday of the month and that means Uncle Sugar sends us our hard-earned Social Security and so we're off to the bank to do our banking business.

And along the way, who knows? We might see something. At the very least we got out and had a good walk.

And, as we meandered on up towards the bank, we saw these daisies. I love me some daisies. Hahaha, they're simple and they totally rock.


Close up or far away, they're just so many picture opportunities with these beauties.


And sometimes, I even actually bend over a little bit to get a lower angle. That doesn't happen too often.


This is a quick aside, but, you know, I've mentioned how much I enjoy living in Small-Town America. I've noted, in other blogs, the joys and special things that happen only in a small town. And I was checking out something about our trash service today and noticed this....and it is so typically Small-Town America!!

Our service is provided by North Lincoln Sanitary Service and they proudly proclaim they are a family owned and operated business....since 1966.

Coolio!!

And then they have this for their contacts...dogs.

Small-Town America!! Love it!! The dogs are answering the phones!!

Classic!!


Hahaha, that was cool, eh?

Now, let's get back to our adventure for today. Second Wednesday, SS checks, bank and we were off. And what to our wondering eyes should appear? But a jolly red Irish door. Yeah, I know, you could just as easily call them Beach doors but I have a soft spot in my heart for all things Irish and so....deal with it.

But, you know, these brightly colored doors do fit in with the beach. Kind of dynamic eccentricity that accompanies the eclectic personalities of the good people you meet along the coast.

It works.


And, if one is good, then two must be better!!

It is better!! It really is!!


The traffic is never heavy in LCO. Well, other than The 101 that is. That one, The 101,  is always busier than a hound in flea season. Always.


We look for and find these nautical themed decorations around most every house. I like it when a town has a theme for their home decor. Hahaha, it makes it easy to fit in with things you can understand....and appreciate.

Like the Little Mermaid....in mosaic.

Of course.


The streets aren't wide but they're sufficient. And they don't have potholes....well, at least the ones that are paved don't. And most homes on these streets are originals. There's not another one cut from the same pattern next door.



There it is. Mother Nature rocks!! Totally.


Then we passed The Dorchester House.

Once a premiere luxury hotel on the coast it is now a reasonably priced retirement home.


Opened in 1935, it is now on the National Register of Historical Places.


And they have a fancy dining room where you can eat for $7 a meal.



They let us wander around the downstairs where they have photographs and memorabilia from the House's past.


The original owner, Charles Walker, was trying for an English Country Inn when he had the House built.


After the walk through The Dorchester House, I took a short detour from the bank and got myself a haircut.

Woo-Woo!! Slow down, Speed Racer!!

Hahaha, it was time. The curls were getting....unruly. And so I dropped by Al's Barber Shop.


Yeah, it's a bit raw but, as you'll see in the next picture, it was clean and neat.


Here's Al in his one-chair barber shop. He runs a pretty tight ship and did a real good job. I appreciate it when the barber uses scissors more than the electric shears. Plus, and this is a definite plus, I got to have a fun and friendly conversation with him. Hahaha, he had my full attention and I had his.

Al not only runs a barber shop, but his two boys were with him, too. He's a multi-tasker. Plus, and this, too, is a definite plus, the boys were both well-mannered and polite. Wow!!

Good job, Al!!


Feeling fresh with my new haircut, we headed out for the bank and quickly took care of our business. 

Then it was time to check on the osprey that lives on a light pole at the Kirtsis Park ball field. You can see where the nest is if you look just a bit to left of center in this picture. It looks like it is a tree but that's only because the pole was directly in front of the tree.


And there she is!

Hola, Mama!!


Once again, I got a slew of pictures....more than I could ever use. And speaking of use, I only picked these two of the osprey. You're welcome.


Isn't it a kick!?! We can walk around and see raptors in their nests. A short drive takes us to where the bald eagles live. And deer come into our yard to eat out of the bird feeders. 

Seriously, it's good to get back to the little, inconsequential things in life. Sorta stopping to smell the flowers and take a look at the wild life kinda existence. No big deals here. Just a lot of small adventures and learning to pick the attitude that brings me the most happiness. And the joy of sharing that fun with someone you care about.

Not much of a day, but it was good.

And, y'know, life is good.




     Hooah!!     



No comments:

Post a Comment