Sunday, July 5, 2015

Fireworks On the Lake - 7/3/15

Or: Hangin' with the Homies...

Besides all the altruistic things joining the ASLC brings about, like supporting environmental education in the schools and through citizen science programs and allowing participation in restoration and public advocacy projects throughout the central Oregon coast, being a member is just plain fun.

How? Easy, we've met new friends and have enjoyed many new adventures with them. We've had the opportunity to visit places we would never have found on our own. And we've learned....a lot. Heck, I can even spot a goldfinch now. It's been a definite plus for us, joining the ASLC. 

And we got an invite to enjoy the Devils Lake Fireworks at the home of Tom and Caren, fellow Audubonners. 

This is the second year that the homeowners along Devils Lake have gotten together and purchased a fireworks display. 


So we got there and joined in along with Ernie and Doe. That's Caren there, on the right. They have a lovely home on the lake.


Before the fireworks they had a small Parade of Boats.


There weren't too many, but folks decorated up their boats and sailed along the shoreline.


As I mentioned, Tom and Caren have a beautiful place. I hope I have my facts right, but I think they moved in around 1991. They've been there a while and that means they've had some time to collect a few things to decorate the house with. 

And they did. And, no, I'm not talking about the Adirondack Chairs. Although they do have an impressive collection of them.


They got some unusual collections inside their house. From an antique stove to thermos bottles to...well, there's a lot. I could spend some time in there taking pictures.


We got there, finally, around 1940 or so. Seems I transposed a couple digits when I entered the address onto my Garmin. Duh!! Good thing Caren was out looking around for lost souls like Carol and I.


While we were out on the deck, enjoying the evening and the conversation, we spotted several birds, like this Purple Finch flying around.

Personally, I have strong suspicions that Tom arranged for all the bird fly-overs and photo ops.  I knew he and Caren were avid Birders but, well, I think they were just showing off here.


But there were plenty of photo ops. Even I couldn't screw them up too badly.


Like this guy, who, suspiciously, kept hanging around the deck we were on kinda like he was being paid or something.


And then he brought his buddy, an American Goldfinch on over.

'Murica!!


They pretended they didn't know each other but, you could tell, they were there with a purpose.


A couple of Blue Herons did a fly over for us and we even saw a couple of eagles...or were they ospreys. Regardless, even at a distance they were spectacular.

And, of course, there was still this show-off.


And, then, POW!!

This guy, a Eurasian Collared Dove, came in as the show stopper. What a finale.

Nicely done, Tom. Nicely done.


And in between the bird show, there was time for chatting and snacking. Caren and Jack had made popcorn for snacking and there was some delicious bean dip there, too.



As it was getting closer to dusk, they towed the fireworks barge out. We had some great seats for the show. The barge was directly in front of Tom and Caren's house.



And it was a pleasant evening, weather-wise. Not much of a breeze and the temps were moderate.

 

And we got a good view of Venus and Jupiter.

Fun Facts: Last Tuesday, Jupiter and Venus culminated a month-long dance in a dazzling display, appearing just a fraction of a degree apart from one another in the night sky - a show that some astronomers say could account for the 'Star of Bethlehem' mentioned in the Bible.

This isn't a particularly rare event, such conjunctions are fairly frequent, thanks to how the Earth and the two planets line up in the solar system. But the combination of how close the planets appeared - one-third of a degree apart - and the viewing angle at many latitudes and the time of day made this a particularly special event.

And it is still visible even today....although not quite as close as it was last Tuesday.


You can see them, barely, just a bit left of center. But you can also see it is getting near dusk and that means it's almost time for the fireworks.


All around the shore of the lake folks were getting ready for the show.


Hahaha, the time was right....


....and, here we go!!






I have to mention here that I had over 100 shots of the fireworks to choose from. Hahaha, regardless of what you might think, I feel I showed great restraint in only putting 22 of them in this blog. I know, I know, that's still about 20 or so too many. I feel your pain but that won't stop me. 

Hahahaha, I can't help myself!! 

With that many shots to choose from you know it was a great show they put on for us. Plenty of fireworks.







I like this one because you can see the lights reflecting off the surface of the lake.











Not too bad for handheld. I finally, just in time, figured out how to put it into a fireworks mode. These modern cameras are a kick. No fiddlin' round with the f-stops and shutter speeds, wondering if you got the settings right. Nope, now you just have to figure out where they hid that particular control and, switch on!!

The camera does all the heavy lifting. I'm just, pretty much, along for the ride. And what a ride it was!!


Afterwards, we went inside for some homemade boysenberry cobbler and ice cream.

I gotta tell you, aside from this being Vice-President thingie, this Audubon membership is working out real well. 

The Saturday after this, we'll be going to a meet-up down at the Yaquina Bay Lighthouse. We'll have a chance to see our friends, a couple birds and learn something new.

And we got a great seat for some quality fireworks.

Thanks, Tom. Thanks, Caren. We really enjoyed our evening.

Hahaha, life is, indeed, very good.




     Hooah!!     





No comments:

Post a Comment