Thursday, November 6, 2014

Another Life - 11/6/14

Or - The Way-Back Machine!!


My daughter, Michelle, has her own blog and she mentioned an event at her library for Veteran's Day where the kids got to put up cards with the names of their relatives who have served on them. 

She remembered when Lexi and Chris were in elementary school, they were asked to bring in a picture of their relatives who had served and they brought in the, I think, top picture shown here.

Michelle went to the school later and saw a blown up picture of a Marine and it took her a moment to realize it was my picture. They had cropped out my family and just had my smilin' face there.

Sorry, Michelle, I don't think I have the picture of me with the blown-up picture of me. These will have to do.

This was taken August 29, 1966, the day I graduated from Marine Corps Boot Camp at MCRD, San Diego, CA.

In the picture with me are my Dad, to the left and my Grandma and Mom to the right. In front is my sister, Darcie.  



This is the 'yearbook' picture they took. They marched us in and told us to take off our utility blouses and then they draped the dress blues over our shoulders and snapped it together to hold it on. The jacket was just a cut out and big enough to cover only what would be seen in the picture. Then they jammed a cover on our heads and, 'SNAP'!! 

The process was then reversed and we were out of there!! 

On the double!!


And since Michelle mentioned they submitted two photos for me, one for the Marines and one for the Army, I thought I'd include this picture of her and I just before I went to a Dining Out at the Sergeant Majors Academy at Fort Bliss way back in 1989.


Thanks for the chance for a trip down Memory Lane, Shelly. Sorry I couldn't find the picture you wanted. If I ever do, I will be sure and send it to you.

Live is good...it's even better when it's TBT.




     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment