Sunday, November 9, 2014

Lazy Sunday - 11/9/14

Or - Hair Today, Goon Tomorrow!!

It's that kind of afternoon. I'm so bored, I'm gonna put together a "This 'N That" blog post.

Actually, I guess I'm catching up on old business. Haircuts, books and car scrapes. So, in no particular order, here's the mash-up that is my life.

     Scraped Mini Reflected Selfie!!     

This one is irritating. Some slug, some waste of life, scraped the side of the Mini just behind the rear window on the passenger side and...didn't say a word. OK, I know when I've been in the Mini I haven't scraped anything...Carol will verify.

So I am guessing that this happened when the Mini was parked...and it had to happen recently or Eagle-Eye Schubert would have spotted it before now.

So I'm thinking that it somehow got scraped when we were parked at Vinnie's. I think it might have been somebody angling to get to the drop off spot and they did it and then just kept on a-movin'. If you have any suggestions as to how you think this came to be, let me know. 

Argh!!


OK, I haven't had a hair-cut in a good while. I'm pretty sure the last one I had was around April or May of this year. I had thought it had been longer, given the length of my curly locks, but I am informed I might be wrong so...April or May.

Regardless, my hair was long...I was even threatening to have it done in a pony-tail it was that long.

And curly. Silly stuff, the stuff that is left that is, insists on curling and waving like nobody's business whenever it gets of a certain length.

I was getting tired of having these gull wings flapping out the sides of my head whenever I wore a ball cap and, if you know anything at all about me, you know that... 

...I wear caps. 

A lot.

Here I am stylin' my Do.
            CB

It was definitely time to get'er cut!!

When I would forego a cap, it would stay in place only with a lot of help from that sticky stuff they sell in the spray bottles. It took a lot of that to hold it down. Otherwise one side or the other would be lifted up by the wind and then just sorta stay there.

I've always had sort of a love/hate relationship with my hair. I always wanted hair like Elvis or Kurt Russell...you know, the kind that blows in the breeze and actually moves back to where it should be. Ahhh, it was not to be. And, to make it just a little bit worse, my daughter Michelle blames her hair problems on me. Sorry, Shelly!!
            CB

We were off to Linda's down in Renton. She's been my Hair Artist ever since Allie moved out on me. Miss ya, Al!!
            CB

And here she is!!

No, I don't know who Linda is, but this one is usually there and gets the treat of cutting my curly locks. Actually, there are two Linda's Beauty Shops within about three or four doors of each other. 

Don't ask.

I don't know.
             CB

Oh, there it went!!
            CB

Looks better, right?

I think so...although I am going to miss having the ability to put my hair up in a pony-tail. 

Hahahahaha, NOT!!
            CB

Hahaha, not bad, not bad at all. 

I'm not vain, there's a good reason for these pictures.

I just got some new glasses the day before and was modeling them for the good folks that made them for me. Deena and Ronald Albers, good friends of Carol, have an optical business in Baton Rouge and they were kind enough to take my prescription and make me a sharp looking pair of sunglasses.

Thanks!!
            CB

EXTREME CLOSE-UP!!
             CB

Hahahaha, enough of me. Seriously!! That's more than enough of me.

So we've taken to Looky-Looing around antique shops. Really some of the things you see, none of which I can afford, are really interesting. Again, a glimpse into a time long gone. 

So after I got my ears lowered, we walked around downtown Renton and stopped in at St. Charles Place. You've seen that place before, at least the exterior, in one of our earlier blogs.

I didn't get a lot of pictures, but I got some. Especially of these milk bottles. I'm pretty sure that at some point my family had these delivered...probably when we lived in Tulsa. I don't remember them at all after we moved to California.

Wash and return!! Hahaha, we were recycling even before it was a popular money-making scheme for AlGore.


Honestly, what caught my attention were the bottle caps. They were like cardboard and yet they did the job and kept the milk safe.


Hahaha, always good advice. 

Except I don't like drinking milk. I'll use it in my cereal and once it has been sugarfied I don't mind drinking it but other than that...no thanks!!



All the way from Danville, N.Y.


And Stillwater, Minn.


Then I spotted this Blast From the Past!!

I got one of these for Christmas way back in 1974. Hahaha, frustration in a game!! 

Oh I could stop playing it...right after I threw it against a wall I could.


     Antique Mirror Reflected Selfie!!     

C'Mon, Man, who could resist!?!

Obviously not me.

And, no, I am NOT choking Carol. Hahaha, she accused me of choking her but...I wasn't, honest. Trust me. 

No, really, trust me.

Everything will be just fine...trust me.


Hahaha, c'mon in and spend a fortune. It's for Christmas!!

Still too early for Santa!!


Then we saw this great shot of a parade in Renton in 1961. See the Alki Tavern on the left? That's right where Linda's Beauty Shop is now. Across the street looks the same except they don't have that awning anymore.


As we were leaving I got this shot of the street that appears on the right side of the photo above. I was shooting the same buildings but from the opposite end of the street.


A while back, I found this book, "With Trapper Jim In the North Woods". It had been published in 1913 and was one of the "Camp Fire and Trail Series" books. So, one night, bored and surfing the net, I googled Camp Fire and Trail Series books for sale and found these two!!

"The Strange Cabin On Catamount Island" and, "Afloat On the Flood".

And they were only $4.50 apiece.

Who could resist!?!

Not me.

  

I don't know what I'll do with them. I'm looking forward to reading them someday. Again, it's that reaching back to somewhat simpler times.


Speaking of simpler times, I was also taken by the symbol on the spines.

Remember, these were published between 1903 and 1915 so they pre-dated Hitler and his band of crazed idiots.

Native Americans were a deeply spiritual people and they communicated their history, thoughts, ideas and dreams from generation to generation through symbols and signs such as the Swastika symbol. The origin of the Swastika symbol derives from the ancient Mississippian culture of the Mound Builders and were major elements in the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex of American prehistory. Some of the Native Indian tribes still retain some elements of the Mississippian culture and the symbolism of the broken cross symbol - that is commonly referred to as a Swastika.

The word "Swastika" derives from an Asian Indian Sanskrit word, in which the meaning of the swastika stands for universal welfare. "Swati" means well-being of one and all and the "ka" means symbol. The swastika is one of the most ancient of all symbols and used as a symbol for peace, life, and good luck. It represented the revolving sun, fire or life.

So it kinda makes sense that it would appear on a series of books devoted to adventure, good living and solid morals.

Still, it looks odd.

Thanks, Adolf, you jerk!!


Finally, for this rant, here's what the weather looked like when I took my walk this morning.

Hahaha, bright and sunny it is not. 

Classic Seattle!!


Finally, this. I've been walking three miles which takes me up to the Arco on Orcas. I've been watching the price of gas S*L*O*W*L*Y drop and enjoying the hell out of it.

Lovin' it!!


It's cheaper just a couple miles down the road but this gas station is in Seattle, Man!! Everything costs more in Seattle!!

So there it is, boredom and having too many toys to play with and too much time to play with them.

Hahaha, in other words, if I had something to do this blog would probably still be a distant thought and not the delightful little bon mot you're enjoying now.

Haha, life is very good.




     Hooah!!     





No comments:

Post a Comment