Saturday, January 10, 2015

Re-Pete!! - 1/10/15

Or - A Shot In the Dark!!


GAME DAY, Baby!!

We've been waiting for this day all week long. The SeaHawks are taking on the Carolina Panthers and The 12 are ready!!

And so are we.

Cap?          Check!!

Shirt?         Check!!

Scarf?         Check!!

Tutu?         Check!!

WAIT!! What!?!

Yeah, a tutu. Carol's wanted one for a while because every game we go to she sees someone wearing a tutu and she wanted in on the fun. So the other day she got the materials to make her own tutu and today . . . today she's gonna break it out!!

Whup!! There it is!!


Hahaha, we are locked, loaded and ready to root!!


And since that one wasn't showing off the tutu, we took another.

Hola, tutu. Como esta, y'all?


Now we're off!! 

It was a butt-ugly day.

Just. Butt. Ugly.


But that ain't a-gonna stop us. Nope, we just gear up and head out. Hahaha, for us that means we grab our umbrellas, put on an extra layer of clothes and drive on.

And for us, well, for us the drive means we walk to the Link and when we walk that always sets up an opportunity for a . . .

     Station at Othello Reflected Window Selfie!!     


Quick!! To the Link!! Where we purchase our specially priced because we're old and we deserve a break today tickets!!

Hahahaha, $1.50 round trip!! Works for me!!

#cheapskate


Speaking of money, just wait until I win the Mega Millions!! Hahaha, if you thought I was insufferable when I was poor, just wait until you see Rich Jackie!!

I just won't know what to do with myself!!

Hahaha, but I think I'll figure it out.

#whatajerk


But that's in the future . . . for the here and now, there's the ride downtown which is, with every successive game, just a bit more crowded. Actually, that's not true. The last game we went to, the ride felt like an Osaka Commuter Train it was so full. Course, we did ride down two hours and 15 minutes before kick-off so that might have played a small part.

Regardless, we stood. Oh, and we chanted, too. Yeah, even on the Link someone will start chanting, "When I say Sea, you say Hawk!!"

And we did.


Down to the International/Chinatown Station and follow the crowds.


But, wait!! Before we can even leave the station's plaza it was time for a . . . 

     12th Man Flag Reflected Window Selfie!!     

Hahahaha, we're shameless and will use any prop and, evidently, any excuse, to take a selfie!! We're on the right side.


There's a Starbucks (Haha, big surprise, right!?!) on the corner of the plaza and as we went by my eye was caught by this interesting display.

Nicely done for the Chinatown Starbucks, don't you think?


As we were crossing over the footbridge, we saw people in front of us shouting, waving and generally making a fuss and so I gave it a look-see as we walked by and . . . there was 

Kaci-small

Kaci Aitchison, Q13 Fox News, "This Morning" anchor!!

Yeah!! There she was waving to all the folks as the cameraman captured all the happy SeaHawk faces.

What could we do!?! We had to stop and tell her, "Kaci, we watch you every morning!!" and chit-chat with her and then, having already established I have no shame whatsoever, I asked her for a picture and she happily complied.

She wears me out she's so happy, energetic, peppy and always, always UP!! I guess it's gotta be tough to be her.

And here she is with Carol.


Whew, how do you go on after that!!

But we did.

Now I have to say that there was, at least for me, a different vibe today. I think there were two main culprits for this. One was that they didn't start the game until 1715 today. I mean, c'mon, we were just waiting around ALL day to go to the game!! I know, it does sound whiney but, y'know, it made a difference starting so doggone late today. At least for me it did.

The second thing that kinda put a damper on the day was . . . the weather. 

Yeah, it just was off-putting. There was a misty and irritating drizzle almost the whole time. It wasn't enough to warrant using an umbrella, Carol said all it did was drift down under the umbrella. Yet, it was enough to, given enough time, build up a film of moisture on, let's say, cameras and on a non-water repellent hooded, zip-up-the-front sweatshirt.

Irritating.

But we drove on cuz we're like that. 


You can tell it's still a bit before the game. The stadium was just beginning to show activity. 


In fact, there was more activity around the Porta-Potties than there was in the Stadium. Hahahah, these things are ALWAYS popular.

The rear of the line is that way, Buddy!!
You can see the sky isn't too inviting. A moody and desolate day.


Looking the other way I saw a bit of the Smith Tower and . . . a hint of the city behind the clouds.


But we were there for some football!!

Gooooooo, 'Hawks!!


You already know that the Smith Tower is my favorite tower here in The Emerald City and so I wasn't about to pass up a chance to shoot it shrouded by clouds. And I didn't.

Hahaha, you'll see at least one more of this, I'm sure.


CenturyLink Field!!




And as we were walking towards Occidental Avenue, we saw them raising The 12th Man Flag on the Big Glass Box Building.

We are 12!!


Hahaha, it was 1530 when I shot this and as you can see, an hour and forty-five minutes out, the crowds haven't yet started to go in.

But the troops were ready.


Occidental Avenue!! Let the show begin!!


And it started early. This guy was wearing some kind of ghillie suit with a gorilla face and some SeaHawks gear and taking pictures with folks.

Fun Facts: If you're like me, you're wondering what the heck is a ghillie suit. Wonder no more. A ghillie suit is a type of camouflage clothing designed to resemble heavy foliage. Typically, it is a net or cloth garment covered in loose strips of burlap, cloth or twine, sometimes made to look like leaves and twigs and optionally augmented with scraps of foliage from the area.

Snipers, hunters and nature photographers (What! Well, then, I need one of them!) wear a ghillie suit to blend into their surroundings and conceal themeselves. The suit gives the wearer's outline a three-dimensional breakup, rather than a linear one. 

The ghillie suit was developed by Scottish gamekeepers as a portable hunting blind. Lovat Scouts, a Scottish Highland regiment formed by the British Army during the Second Boer War is the first known military to use ghillie suits. In 1916, the Lovat Scouts went on to become the British Army's first sniper unit.

The term ghillie, or gillie, is derived from gille, the Scottish Gaelic for "servant" or a "lad". In English, this term was especially used to refer to those assisting in deer hunting in the Scottish Highlands. 

The name could also refer to the Ghillie Dhu, the Scottish version of the English Green Man, a kind of nature spirit and guardian of trees who dwelt in the forests and hills and who was clothed in leaves, moss and twigs.

The Australian Army sniper's outfits are nicknamed "yowies", named for their resemblance to the Yowie, a mythical hominid similar to the Yeti and Bigfoot, which is said to live in the Australian wilderness.

There will be more on that Bigfoot later. Hahahaha . . . 


Looking across the parking lot towards the King Street AmTrak Station.

A gloomy day but the crowd was full of energy and, judging from some of the antics we saw, beer. Not that I'm judging.

 #beentheredonethat


Ah, the idle rich in their ritzy apartment overlooking CenturyLink.

Party On, Rich People!!

#comeonmegamillions


There was a heavy police presence again today. The news (Q13 Fox News) had mentioned that they would be out in force to avoid the kind of negative celebrating that went on last year when the 'Hawks won the Super Bowl. Oh, did I mention that the Seattle Seahawks won the XLVIII Super Bowl? Yeah, hahaha, they did and the folks here went a little bonkers probably fueled by too much of the aforementioned beer.

This fella was a big hit. 


Then, believe it or not, there was a tent with chairs in it and a TV!! It was set up with a hot dog stand so I guess you're suppose to buy your dog, dress it up and then sit around and enjoy TV.

Seriously, we modern folks don't have much room to gripe about our lot in life.


And a new twist. They added this 12th Man flag onto SafeCo Field. You know SafeCo. It's where that other pro team . . . what's their name? Well, it's where those other guys play that other game.

Oh, yeah!! The Seattle, Haven't Won A Championship Yet, Mariners.

Hahaha, I'm getting spoiled by the 'Hawks.


Party on, 'Hawks Fans!!


     Happy Accident Artsy-Fartsy Alert!!     

I've told you about my Happy Accidents before. Something lucky happens and I get a reasonably good shot. Well, I thought this was in that category. Oh, I know, you might not like it but, still, I like it and in this blog, well, my opinion reigns!!

#tuff


As usual, there was plenty of eating going on!!

And drinking. Don't forget about that!! The beer was flowing.


'N Da Boyz in da Hood wuz stylin'!!

The Hawk Gang Guy was there and these two asked for a picture with him and I sorta jumped on that bandwagon.

I'm still amazed at all the wild and woolly costumes folks wear to the games.


Whup!! There she is!!

Takin' a Twelfie!!


It was 1548 when this shot was taken. There's about an hour and 27 minutes left until kick-off.

The crowds are getting crowdier and the stands are beginning to fill up.


OK, not a good pic but I had to include it.

Look carefully and tell me, do you see anything kinda not normal?

Keep looking. Look a bit to the left.

D'ya see him!?!

It's Bigfoot!!

There!! On the left!! Wearing a red wool cap and some incredibly large shoes!!


I had to snap fast because for some reason, rude people just kept on walking right between me and my subject. Harrumph, some people, right!?!

Hahaha, but there he was! Bigfoot! He was taking a break and talking to, as near as I can make out, Mrs. Bigfoot on his cell phone.

"No, dear, I am NOT drinking. Yes, Dear, I'll be home right after the game, promise. Would you like me to bring you anything? A couple Big Macs or . . . ?"

At least that's what I think the conversation was about.


And from Bigfoot on to . . . Betty Rizzo and her best friend, Frenchy. Hahaha, everyone loves the 'Hawks!!

Nicely done, Ladies.



And these two. I asked for the photo cuz I wanted to ask her if she had made her tutu. 

Yep!! Got the stuff at Hobby Lobby and put it together. Still, you can tell both of them put some thought and money into their ensembles.


I guess the threat level goes down the closer it gets to kick-off. Either that or it was a union mandated break for dogs and cops. They had three dogs there. Plus one bike. No horses.


Looking towards the Big Glass Box. I do like shooting the reflections off that building. The clouds are so low I cropped way down because all you could see was gray, dull skies.



And then I reached out for the campanile at the King Street Station. I like this one. I might submit it to M.J. for the Q13 Fox News Morning Weather Segment.

Hahaha, I am a certified Glory Hound!!

" . . . I can't deny the fact that you like me. Right now, you like me!! Thank you."


They were selling all the usual paraphernalia there plus a couple new things.

Here's one of the new things. Well, new to Carol and I. Near as I can make out they're light sticks. Why would you want one I have no idea but, obviously, he thinks he's gonna sell 20-30 of them.


It was still misting but not so much that we couldn't stop and get ourselves a . . . 

     Photo-Bombed CenturyLink Misty Selfie!!     

Hahaha, the joker behind us saw me extending the, uh, extender and I heard him say, "Wow!! That's cool! I'm gonna photo-bomb you guys!"

Hahaha, he's obviously never heard of a camera delay to let you to get set up before the camera snaps your picture . . . and mine was set for 10 seconds so, after I got the stick out, there were 7-8 veerryy long seconds for him to hold his pose before the flash went off!!

And he did!! I kinda thought he'd give up but he stuck it out!! Good dedication, Man!!


Nerf Ms. S. O. Liberty showed up.

Note to self: Need money? Get some colored foam and make a costume. 

#suremoneymaker


Whup!! There it is!!

Ok, now I'm convinced that this thing is permanently parked there at McRory's. It has not moved AN inch this whole season!! I know because each and every time I've been there I've taken a picture of it. It's like a RV version of a seagull for me!! Toxic!!

Seattle Street Scenes.




This is the first time I've ever included a picture of the entire Fallen Firefighters Memorial. 

Mainly because it was the first time there wasn't one of the Valued Homeless slouched somewhere on the Memorial.

Finally!!

Located in Occidental Park, this Memorial was inspired by the deaths of four Seattle firefighters who died January 5, 1995, fighting a fire in the Mary Pang warehouse in Seattle's International/Chinatown District just a couple blocks over from here.


     Artsy-Fartsy Alert!!     

Hahaha, dusk, wet streets, strong lighting . . . it had to happen. I'm just surprised it took so long for it to appear in this blog. 


Gooooooo, 'Hawks!!

"Uh, can I get another beer over here!?!"


Another Happy Accident.

I just couldn't get the camera to focus. But it worked out and I got this semi-good pic.


When you see a giant football are you gonna just pass it by? Hahahaha, I didn't think so, and neither did I!!

     Giant Football Outside a Bar Selfie!!     


Ah, there's my fav Tower. Looking good!!


Hahaha, those stinkin' bandits!! Just a couple blocks over and closer to CenturyLink, they were only charging $40!!


And the Merchants Cafe . . . serving beer since 1890. Oh, and food, too.


Looking north up First Avenue past Pioneer Square.

I got caught up with the the lights and the dusk. It's a potent combination in such a beautiful city as this one is.


Looking west down Yesler Way.


Looking east up James Street. You're reminded that Seattle is built on hills.


It's still hard for me, and I know what I'm looking at, to realize this is Pioneer Square. The night covers up a lot of blemishes and the wet weather causes the others to move indoors.


I like this shot. The buildings disappearing into the clouds. I like it.

Looking north up 2d Avenue. Not too bad for a hand-held.


And, dominating the Seattle skyline, Columbia Center. Hahaha, even the second tallest building west of the Mississippi has to give into the weather, too.

Can you see the 12th Man flag? About two-thirds of the way up the tower? It had a bank of lights above it alternating green and blue. 

Gooooooo, 'Hawks!!


And outside O'Donnell's, they had this sign. 

How true.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!


It was a good day. Even though things seemed off just a bit it was still fun to go down and share in some of the pre-game fun as the crowd arrived for the game.

And, if you don't already know, the 'Hawks won, 31-17.

Nolo contendre, Pantherinos.

Then it was back to Fort Couch to watch the game in comfort getting, courtesy of Q13, Fox, the best seats in the whole stadium . . . and no rain or mist.

Hahaha, now we get to look forward to next week's game!!

Ach, meine Freunde, das Leben ist gut. Ja, sehr, sehr gut.




     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment