Saturday, July 20, 2013

The Old Soldier's Home

I first heard of the Old Soldier's Home when I was a young Marine. Back in those days, they paid us in cash. On Payday, we got dolled up in our Class A's and then reported to the Pay Officer who would, somewhat reluctantly it seemed, dole out our money.

They always had someone, usually an NCO, waiting just a bit further down and as you left, you had to contribute to....whatever. One of the things we had to contribute to was....The Old Soldier's Home (OSH).

Never once, as a young Marine, did I even think I'd ever consider moving there.

Never once.

Oh, Karma, you're a son-of-a-gun. A real son-of-a-gun.

I'm visiting in Maryland and thought I'd take the opportunity to visit the OSH since I was so close. It could be something I'd be interested in in a couple of years.

But to get there, I had to drive through Washington, D.C. It was a bit congested and a bit more hairy than I thought it needed to be!!


At first I was driving towards the Capitol Building then I saw it in my rear view and got this grab shot.


But Garmin got me through all the congestion and to The Home.

This is the Old Home that was damaged in the earthquake a couple years ago. It's in the process of being restored. It was the primary residents home until the earthquake. They've got another building and just built a new residents dorm.
                           

During the Civil War, they would post soldiers up in this tower to look over the countryside for enemy troop movements. Yeah, the city was that close to the war.
  

The grounds are neat and well-kept. This was taken from in front of the new residence. To the right of center is the building shown above and there a bit more to the left of center is The Lincoln Cottage.


Here's a view of the dorms. The one directly in front is for those folks who can still get about and the new one, on the right is for those who are bed-ridden or have trouble getting around.


This is the Hall of Heroes as you come into the new building. It has the history of the Home shown and then has displays for the different services.


Part of the display depicting the history of the Home.


In the new building they have this display honoring those who have recently passed.


There is a rest area in the new building where you can get a snack or something to drink 24 hours a day. They have milk, juice and coffee here was well as cereals in case you're hungry and the Mess Hall is closed.


Here's a view of the library. Books, audio books, DVDs and VCR tapes can be checked out.


In the new building they also have a new dining facility...hereafter known as the mess hall. I couldn't believe my luck that on the one night I was eating there, the only evening meal I would have, they served spaghetti. Karma!! What did I do to make you so mad!?!

This view is looking back from where I was sitting and looks toward the serving line, salad bar and drinks table.


Hee's a long view of the mess. See the men sitting at the table to the left of center? As I was leaving they called me over and we talked for a while. They were talking about when they reported to Ft. Lewis back in the early 50s.

 Oh, yeah, I felt like a kid.


I sat along the windows and this was my view. This looks towards D.C. and if it were Autumn and the trees bare I'm told you could see a lot of the National Mall buildings.


This is the PX. Doggonest thing is that they don't have much there. The first aisle, to the left, is mostly chips, snacks and cookies. The second aisle is soda and tea and things to drink. The third aisle is medicine and toothpaste, etc. Finally the fourth is cleaning supplies, pens, paper and things like that.

No clothes, games or knick-knacks for sale. Very odd.


I went up to the top floor of the Sherman Building and found this cache of books. They have bookcases spotted throughout all the floors in this building.


Here's the lounge area on the 7th floor. They had a ping-pong table on the 3rd floor.


One of the hallways in the Sherman. All neat and all uniform. 


But you get to, evidently, decorate your door. I saw some with plants, some with pictures, some with religious tracts...a real mix.

I'd put my lighthouse I got from TomBon on a small table by my door. Light it up and it's a beacon in the darkness to The No-Pout Zone!! 


Like all good rest homes, they have a calendar of things to do. Here's the Calendar for July. 


An then there is the food. It met my needs for a meal....I didn't have to cook it or clean up afterwards. Hooah!! But, in the taste department, it was OK but nothing to write home about.

The thing was, I was only gonna have one chance to eat the evening meal there....and what did they serve? Spaghetti!! Can you believe it? Spaghetti!!

Argh!!


The home has the Lincoln Cottage on it. 

During his Presidency, Lincoln and his family would often move up to the Cottage during the Summer months. Set on the highest point in D.C., they sought it's comfort for the relief its breezes would give during the sweltering heat of the Summer months. He spent over a quarter of his term here with his family and would commute from here to the White House, usually on horseback.


I saw this notice and was impressed by this General's gesture. He was coming to the OSH to thank all the Korean War Veterans for their service to his country. 


So, I had a good time and learned a lot. It's a real rest home. Sometimes the brochures show a younger group than I met. Not something I'm exactly ready for right now but maybe, some day, in the future.


Bottom line is this a a wonderful service provided for veterans. Too bad they don't have more like it.



No comments:

Post a Comment