Thursday, September 17, 2015

Duck, Duck, GOOSE!! - 9/16/16

Or - I'm Barnacle Goose, the Sailor!!


The big news last week was the spotting of three Barnacle Geese over by the Little Nustucca River. What's the big deal about seeing some geese? Well, the big deal is they are not normally seen this far west or south. On this continent, they are usually found in northeastern Canada, up around Newfoundland and Labrador.

So, you can see, spotting them out here in the Great American Pacific Northwest is a big deal.


If you're interested in seeing the Barnacle Geese then take a close look at the picture below, taken by Jack Doyle. He is an accomplished photographer and, incidentally, the President of The Audubon Society of Lincoln City. He is quite generous in sharing his photography.

Jack Doyle - President, ASLC

But, unfortunately, you're stuck with me. Hahaha, and I'm all over the board with my photography. So let's get this thing started, shall we?

For us, it began this morning when Caren stopped by to pick up the e-mail list we generated at the Farmers Market this past weekend. She saw the picture of the Barnacle Geese (BG) that Jack had taken and that we had shown at the Market and asked if I had been out to see them yet. 

"Uh, no" I lamely replied.

So she enthusiastically gave me directions and, unwittingly, the encouragement to go out a-shootin' for some BGs. Armed with the directions and the motivation, we thusly set out this morning for a pleasant drive up The 101.

And, surprisingly, I didn't get myself lost!! Hahaha, Ol' Dan'l Boone Jackie was on track today. 

Like a laser-guided missile, I homed right in on my target. The boat ramp just off Meda Road immediately south of the Little Nestucca River.


We found the right place, but, we didn't find the right goose.

Nope, not this one.

This one is an immature White-Fronted Goose.


And this Great Blue Heron certainly wasn't a BG.


But it was OK. We might have been disappointed in not seeing any BGs, but we weren't disappointed with what we did get to see. And hear.

Beautiful country along the river and I could even hear the birds singing. Great!!


See what I mean? It was out there, somewhere, that the three BGs were spotted, just beyond the dike running left to right down the middle of the picture.


It was a great show out there today.

Except for those doggone BGs. We caught these guys taking off but, uh, no Barnacles.


But some great scenics...well, someone could have taken some great scenics. Instead, you get mine. 


We walked up toward the boat ramp and I got this shot looking east on the Little Nestucca. You can get an idea of how clear the water is along the shore and how deep the river is by how dark the water gets.


We did see this guy fishing in the stream.


And this guy fishing in the river.


Just looking around now. This is the bridge carrying The 101 across the Little Nestucca.


And, Carol heard this guy and then we actually got to see him!! And he stayed around long enough for me to get several pictures!!

Amazing!!

Normally, these Kingfishers land long enough for me to think I might be able to get my camera up and actually get a shot of them and then, poof!! they're gone.

But not today!! Today I scored...well, as much as I could. Mind you, this guy was across the river in a dead tree set back from the river.



Riding the high from finally getting a picture of a Kingfisher, I was amazed to find this furry fellow waiting for me as we walked back. And he stayed in place for me to get a picture but, when I tried to move to get around the branch in front of him, he bolted. Like a scared rabbit.

Hahahaha, I am so doggone clever. But, seriously, he scrammed quick-like.


We decided to try once more to see the BGs. As we were walking back up to the bank overlooking the field, we got to see these two cormorants winging their way up the river.


Looking north over the Little Nestucca.


Evinrude!!


Honestly, there isn't a lot to say...it was more looking and walking than thinking. Still no BGs. 

Confession, I've been trying to work on my patience. You know, actually spending the time to get a semi-good shot with my camera. Normally, I run out of patience about 15-20 seconds before whatever it is I'm waiting for actually happens. In other words, I usually wimp out and start to leave just before the bird takes off or lands or ... whatever.

I mention this because I was trying to be patient and so, rather than leave after one try at spotting the elusive BGs, I went back for Round Two.

And got bupkus. But, hey!! I'm trying!!


On the way home, I pulled into the Nestucca Bay National Wildlife Refuge...just because. Hahaha, it was there and we had the time so.....



And from there, we got some nice views of the valley.


And you know my motto by now, look up, look down. Look big, look small. And there, on the ground near us, were these harbingers of the season to come. I noticed that leaves are already starting to fall from some of the trees...it's coming!!


Here's the Ol' Faithful Mini at the overlook for the National Wildlife Refuge.


And then I saw this...why not? So we piled in the Mini and headed up to where we could easily walk the Trail.


It's set in the Wildlife Refuge and along the top of a mountain along the coast. 


And, of course, I always look down. And I got lucky and got a bee and whatever that is coming in from the left, there.


There was once a time when seeing a Turkey Vulture here in Oregon was a big deal. That lasted maybe 1 or 2 days. No mas...now they're a dime-a-dozen.


The clouds started moving in while we were walking up to the overlook. They said there'd be precip in the afternoon. They were right.


But there were some interesting angles and vistas. Plus, we could sorta see, again, the beginnings of the coming change of season. Heck, Autumn will be here next week...next Wednesday, to be exact.


Hahaha, I like clouds...and slanted hills.


Looking east towards the Tillamuck State Forest.


More clouds and tree lines. I am, in a way, very predictable. At least in certain environments.


And then I got to see a Painted Lady. Hahaha, great name for this butterfly. 

Fun Facts: The correct name is the Vanessa Cardui...it is a member of the Four Vanessa Butterfly Species of North America. 

They are, 1. The Red Admiral, Vanessa Atalanta 2. The American Lady, Vanessa Virginiensis 3. The West Coast Lady, Vanessa Annabella and, of course, The Painted Lady.

I know this may be hard to believe but, from the cool names they give their butterflies, these Lepidopterists are a wilder and crazier bunch than the birders are. Is that possible?


Some thistle. Hey, did you know these are part of the daisy family? Yeah, that's right. I didn't know that.

Fun Facts: The thistle has been the national emblem of Scotland since the reign of Alexander III (1249-1286) and was used on silver coins issued by James III in 1470. It is the symbol of the Order of the Thistle, a high chivalric order of Scotland. It is found in many Scottish symbols and as the name of several Scottish football Clubs.

Hahaha, those zany Scots!! A thistle!?! Go figure!!


Looking north and slightly westward over towards the Bob Straub National Park towards the sand dunes of the Cape Kiwanda State Natural Area  looming over Pacific City.


Hahaha, some lupines. Looks good and so I included it. The name makes me think of the Professor from the Harry Potter books.


There's the Chief Kiawanda Rock, aka Haystack Rock, that sets off the beach of Pacific City. Oh, and we think this is where the Barnacle Geese go to nest at night.


Hahaha, clever way to tell people to stay out. Doesn't seem that the birds think too much of this sign.


They've built a great viewing deck at the top of this hill. It gives you a good view over the ocean to the west and the valleys to the east.


And the storm clouds were gathering. I knew Carol would make it back to the Mini before me so I gave her the keys...Hahaha, rain was in the air.


Speaking of valleys...there's the one that we just came from. That's the Little Nestucca River down there and just beyond the center clump is where we went to see the elusive BGs.


But it was beginning to drizzle and so I cut short all the fun and made my way back down to the Mini.


And then it was down the gravel road to The 101.


On the drive back we stopped at the pullout overlooking Daley Lake and Camp Wi-Ne-Ma, a Christian Summer Camp. It was at this pullout that I spotted the first Turkey Vulture I had seen in Oregon.

We also met a woman who told us that the camp was a Coast Guard Station during WWII. She even lived there after the war. Her Grandfather built one of the little homes located on the property. She has very good memories of picnicking along the lake and boating on it.


And then we stopped at a small pond alongside The 101 just south of Neskowin. We'd stopped there once before for pictures shortly after we'd moved to Oregon. 


It hasn't changed much.


Someday I am going to come here and spend some time. Get my feet wet, maybe, and really shoot this pond.


But for now it was a quick in and a quick out. We wuz hungry!! We had way too much fun. So we decided to calm down by visiting the Cruise Inn for a late lunch. 

It's a bar, plain and simple, but they do give a nod towards sports and being a restaurant. 

I've only seen two TVs in there and so that's why I say they only give sports a nod. Most Sports Bars have like 30 or 40 TVs in them.

As for the restaurant part, I think they should be selling that part of their business a lot more but, they're content with being a bar with some extremely tasty goodies from the restaurant.

Haha, they do have the schedule for the Ducks and the Beavers. Woo, Woo!!


And these. I don't understand the attraction myself. It seems you put the money in and then the picture wheel spins itself and the icons line up and then it spins again while you watch it and then they line up again and....ad infinitum. 


Or at least until your money runs out. If you win, they print out a receipt that you take to the bar to get your money. 

I mean, c'mon, you should at least have to pull a handle once in a while, shouldn't you? I mean, be a little interactive, right!?!


Still, there are some folks who really enjoy these things. 



Now this is what I enjoy. I apologize, the picture I took of my Rueben was...not good. The Rueben was really good...but the picture wasn't.


This is Carol's Cheeseburger. Mmmmmm....and that's Shawn to the left back there. He's new...and Italian (inside joke). The cook is on the right...the one with the Video T-Shirt. I'm sorry, I haven't gotten his name yet but, I can tell you this, he makes some very good dishes. 


For his Ruebens, he puts the meat on, then the sauerkraut and the sauce and then, and here is where it gets good, he puts on more meat!!


It wuz good!!!


And he does a good job with those fries, too. Everything comes with a coat of grease. 


'Nuff said.


And I like the price: Two beers, one root beer, two sandwiches, one order of fries = $23.75 (and that includes the tip!)


So it was a very good day. We didn't get to see any Barnacles but we did get to explore a new area. That's the thing about living here, there is so doggone much to see. As sure as the sun sets in the west, I'm sure I will be leaving this area with regrets about not having seen this or gone there.

We did some exploring and that's always a good thing. 

That and eating lunch at the Cruise Inn.

Ahhhh, my stomach is full and life is good.




     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment