Monday, September 21, 2015

Cape Foulweather - 9/20/15

Or: The Big Fog

Twas a foggy day it was. It started out like that and, except for a couple of hours later in the afternoon, it stayed that way. All. Day. Long.

Got me to thinking of foggy things, like this poem by Carl Sandburg, winner of two Pulitzer Prizes for Poetry. Hey, if he got two Pulitzers for Poetry then he must be good, right!?!

So, here's the challenge; read the following poem by Carl and then  pretend it was written by me. What would you think of it now? Hahaha, I have a pretty fair idea...something along the lines of "What's that jerk up to now!?!" and, y'know, I wouldn't blame you a bit.

The fog comes
on little cat's feet. 
It sits looking
over the harbor and city
on silent haunches and then moves on.

                                                               Carl Sandburg

This reminds me of some of the art I've seen lately. It isn't really art until you convince someone it is art. I've seen some stuff that I consider to be, well, not art but it's out there and someone is paying hundreds or thousands of dollars for it. Hahaha, maybe I'm just trying to find an easy excuse for my not making good photographs!! Could be, but I bet there's some truth to this little theory of mine. If only I could articulate it a bit better.

Anyway, it was a drab, foggy morning so I suggested we go get our weekly shopping done rather than wait for tomorrow. I'll be busy tomorrow and it'd be better, for me at least, to get the shopping out of the way now. So we're off, heading down Newport way to hit the Wally and stock up on the necessaries. 

Mission accomplished, we were heading back through the light fog along The 101. It wasn't really bad, more like a hint of fog rather than being fogged in. We were motoring along when I saw the turn-off for Cape Foulweather. You might remember it from previous blogs. I think we've stopped there three times previously and every time the gift shop in the building on the cliff has been closed. 

One thing we've noticed is that the weather changes here in Oregon quickly and, sometimes, very dramatically. We'd been driving a good part of the morning motoring down to Newport and then making the trip back and, while we encountered large pockets of misty fog, it had all been in and out and never, at least while we were on the road, thick enough to cause me to slow down for safety.

Here's Carol oohing and aahing over the view this cape offers.

While we were standing on that cape and looking at the beach before us, the fog...well, you take a look and you be the judge...

Time: 1038 - Looking south towards Yaquina Head

Time: 1039 - Looking north towards Lincoln City

Time: 1039 - The view south towards Yaquina Head

Time: 1039 - I had moved further down the cape and was looking          more soueasterly now. A closer view of the beach below the cape.

Time: 1042 - Same position as above. The same view but a bit closer.

Time: 1042 - The same position as above with a wider angle lens.

Time: 1042 - Looking a bit further to the east.

Time: 1043 - Getting a bit wider with my lens.

Time: 1044 - Where'd the beach go?

Time: 1044 - Looking down at a small cliff with a lone tree on it.

Time: 1046 - The other side; a view of the Gift Shop again.

We finally were able to go inside the Gift Shop. Mind you, I wasn't interested in the gifts...my interest lay in seeing the inside of the structure. When it was first built, it was a restaurant and then, after a number of years, it became a gift shop. It was also here that six Coasties spent WWII as part of the Coastal Defense. 

They were stationed here and their job was to scan the ocean from this cape looking for enemy activity. What a great way to spend World War II. Can you see them answering this question, "What'd you do in the war, Daddy?"


It's a nice enough shop. Strangely, they had a woman at one counter, you can see her on the right with the blue blouse on, and another, there on the far left, at another little counter. The one on the left was dressed in a Forest Service uniform for the Oregon State Parks. Hahaha, another great job here!!

Can't be too tough for the Ranger.


"September...what the heck! It's close enough, let's go ahead and put out the Christmas decorations."


I like these little lighthouse replicas but I ain't gonna start collecting them.

This one is Yaquina Bay.


Here's Cape Arago.


A fuzzy Cape Meares.


Coquille River Lighthouse, near Bandon, OR.


And Terrible Tilly.


This was one of the advertisements used to promote the gift shop after the restaurant closed.


These old post cards show the many transformations the building has gone through.



And some of our larger visitors to the Oregon Coast.


Time: 1057 - From inside the gift shop, a view of the coast to the north. 

An old sea chest. The trips this trunk must have made.


Hahaha, I was tempted, but until I can figure out a way to display the 750 or so pins I do have I won't be adding any more. Regrettably.


Oh, the weather outside is...foggy


Ah, if I had the money for an Airstream!! I'd be hookin' that bad boy up all over the place!!


Hahaha, I'm a sucker for old style advertising. I almost bought this but, as I was reaching for my wallet, I came to my senses. I don't need another keychain. Honest, I don't!!


Just interesting. Shellacked shells with a gold trim. 


Time: 1107 - On the south side of the cape looking for the spider web.

Time: 1109 - Found it!!

Time: 1110

And, time to go. We'd seen all we were going to be able to see this day. Besides, the main reason for the stop was to see if the gift shop was open and, well, mission was accomplished.

Time: 1113 - On the way home.

Time: 1117 - Coming into Depoe Bay.

Time: 1118 - The World's Smallest Harbor!!

Time: 1128 - Coming up on Siletz Bay.

Time: 1132 - Siletz Bay.

Not every adventure is a grand epic but they are all, in their way, interesting and fun.

I wanted to visit the gift shop. Hahaha, I would have liked meeting with Buck and Ann Badley as they built their dream on this promontory. What an exciting life they had. 

And we got some great views of the fog. No, really, this park offers some great views of the beautiful Oregon Coast. It's worth stopping any time...even if the gift shop is closed.

Because, as we all know, life is good.




     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment