Monday, September 14, 2015

Sailin' on the Salmon - 9/12/15

Or: Rollin' on the River


I've been looking forward to this opportunity for a long time. A birding kayak adventure on the Salmon River!! The morning got off to a rocky start but by the time we arrived at the river, everything was copacetic. 

Thank goodness, because it was a beautiful day, tailor-made for some kayaking fun. And we were ready!!

CB

The adventure began at the Cascade River Ranch Clubhouse. They have an area behind the clubhouse set up to store kayaks and canoes and there, right next to it, is a nice little boat-launch ramp.

And the tide was coming in so this time I was pretty sure my poor ol' kayak wouldn't be dragging bottom from being top-heavy.


There were 12 of us for today's adventure. Tom was there helping folks get into their kayaks. 

CB

CB

Hahaha, I have to be honest...the worst part of kayaking is doing a mount or dismount with your kayak. Unless you're young, skinny and coordinated, you're going to look clunky getting into or out of those things. Since I have long ago said good-bye to the first two of those three requirements and never, really, had a good handle on the last one I am in a bit of a pickle when I try to get in or out.


Having someone to help makes it a whole lot easier and, for most of us, a bit less funny-looking. Thank goodness there has been no one around with a movie camera while I've been wrestling with my kayak. It would be good stuff for America's Most Funniest.

Fortunately, Tom was there to help folks get into their craft. Here he is on the right helping Caren get launched. I know I've said it before, but one big reason I like these birding adventures...well, it isn't the birds...it's the people. Strangers were coming over to help launch, carry, whatever. It's a good feeling to be able to help others and to, in turn, receive help. 


And here she is...Salmon River Schubert!! 

This was our second excursion on the Salmon. The last time we hadn't planned our time too well and were stymied a bit by the low water. This time that was not a concern as we headed up river towards the Pacific Ocean.


This is a sit-on kayak with peddles to power it. You simply sit and peddle and that powers the paddles underneath the kayak. We had seen a larger, two-man, version of this a couple months ago. 

Gotta say, it sure looks like an easier way to kayak. And, I just realized, you don't get wet from dripping paddles as you row along.


The last of the kayakers launch as Jack and Tom talk on the ramp. Jack is the President of the Lincoln City Audubon and Tom is the all-around good guy.


We were working against the wind coming in off the ocean plus the pull of the incoming tide as we paddled toward the mouth of the river. Some smart folks were already on the opposite shore and enjoying the warm sun.


I saw this activity and got a shot and learned later, from Carol, that a passing fisherman had dumped a bucket of fish waste into the water. They were certainly excited by it.


I'm shooting with my little waterproof camera, the Nikon. It does good work but, and there's always that but, isn't there, I wish it had a bit more pull from the lens.

Trying to get artsy-fartsy here. I like the clean lines with just a couple things to break it up. Like the gull.


This is the landward side of the spit that separates the ocean from the river. For a while, anyway.


We made it to the turn towards the ocean but the waves coming in were just a bit more than any of us wanted to deal with and so we had to gather for a quick pow-wow. We hadn't seen many birds yet. The question was should we try the mouth of the river, beach our kayaks and hike along the beach or turn back.


This one would be happy either place.


In the end, they decided to beach. I wasn't keen on it...remember my distaste for getting into and out of the kayak and you'll understand why.



So we went in. It was OK...I made it without taking a dip into the river and that means it was a huge success!!


What a neat place. If I were a younger man, I'd strongly consider bringing a tent and such on over and spending the night on this spit of land. There's plenty of area for exploring. Looking northwest towards the mouth of the river.


Same place, looking southeast at the Salmon River as it moves toward the ocean.


What a great day it was for adventure. You can get an idea of the drop off along the edge of the river. It got deep quick. But the river was moving slowly so it wouldn't have been too much of a problem if I fell in. Just damage my dignity.


Still not seeing many birds, the group headed towards the ocean.



And then we saw these guys coming in. Their kayaks were a bit more sea-worthy than ours. Plus you can tell they've done this before...riding the surf in on their kayaks. They had waist belts that fit around the cockpit of the kayak to keep the water out. Smart!!


Ride'em, Cowboy!!


At the apex of the spit looking out towards the ocean.


The top of the hills, mountains? were still covered with low-lying clouds. The hint of a fog was still there.


I don't know if it was the first day of the fishing season or it was the first day the salmon were running but there was a lot of fishing going on in the river.

In fact, I think they changed locations for the launch from Knight County Park to where we did launch because the Park was chock-full of cars and trailers from folks who were already out on the river...fishing.

And these guys knew what they were doing. They were out there near the rocks with the waves from the ocean coming in to rock them. And they all had their lines in the water.


Picture time!

We few, we happy few, we Band of Birders


Still looking. We did see some herons, cormorants, turkey vultures and a lot of gulls but I don't know about any other birds.

For me, though, the birds are secondary. I have more fun just being there. In that regard, I try to stay out of the way and not spoil any viewing opportunities.



And I was still trying to see in B&W. 


And seeing in color, too. 

I do like me some beach grass. And driftwood.


Hahaha, speaking of the devil. And, gosh!! I got it in B&W, too!!

I know. Don't look for it to end anytime soon.


Carol and Caren discussing matters of great importance. 

What a great place for a stroll, eh?


Haha, I've been taking a lot of arm-length selfies. The biggest problem is that I forget to move the lens back out and end up getting some terrible shots of the tip of my large, bulbous nose. No one deserves to see that close up. This time it sorta worked.


Then it was time to head on back. It was a lot easier moving back with the wind behind us and the tide moving, sort of, with us as well. The trip back was a lot faster than the trip out.

Here's Caren cruising along.


And me. 


CB

Looking a bit south and eastward along the river. How cool is this, eh? And less than 10 miles from home!!


Everyone made it in OK. Again, I managed to 1) not hurt myself and 2) avoid taking an unplanned dip in the water.

CB

Hahaha!! Great!!


Carol Anne, looking good!!

CB

We got the Faithful Mini loaded up. We're getting better at squeezing the kayaks into the Mini. Hmmmm, maybe we'll try riding them on top. Maybe.


And afterwards we lounged around on the grass enjoying the sun, the company, the little puppy and the beer.


And to show what a classy group of people we are, we posed for a picture for Jack.

Back story is that Jack can't drink any alcohol and so we all thought it'd be a great idea to take a picture and send it to him. 

Hahahaha, with friends like this, right!?!

In my defense, cuz you all know how petty and childish I can be, Jack's wife, Laura, there on the left in front of me, was the one who suggested the picture. I just enthusiastically endorsed it.


Then it was time for the drive back. My gosh, it seems like everywhere you turn on the coast you get some nice scenery. This is on the drive to the Cascade Head Ranch.


After some errands later on in the afternoon I decided to let my inner nautical self go and, because I'm such a classy guy and all, took Carol for lunch at the Cruise Inn.

It's a friendly bar on The 101 a bit more than a mile from our house. 


As bars go, it fits right in the middle. Not bad. The folks are friendly. The best feature of this bar is...the food!!

Mmmmmmmm....


Last time here, I got a tasty Monte Cristo. This time I stayed true to my inner Irish Leprechaun and went for the Reuben!! It was ga-uuddd!! The meat was tasty, the sauerkraut complimentary and the sauce just a hint on the side. In other words, it was good.


Carol got her a cheeseburger. Likewise, good!!


What a great day!! We got out on the river. Got to see some friends. Got some stuff done and then had a delicious dinner while we watched the Ducks lose to Michigan State. Ouch!!

While we didn't see many birds, we did get to see some new country. It was good.

Life is good.




     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment