Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Tumultuous Tuesday - 10/14/14

Or - Roid Rage!!

This one is ALL over the place. Seriously, it bounces from A to Z.

First off, there's a trip to the hospital and, as I've been wont to do lately, I documented the environment as we traveled. Flowers abound in our travels today and we were able to go to two of our favorite places, Vinnie's and Wally's. Finally, we took a walk around the neighborhood in the growing dusk.

 This blog shoots here, there and everywhere. And it's chock full of flowers, too!! 

Hahahahaha, OK!! Hold on to your hats, folks, cuz here we go!!

We'll start out with driving up to the VA Hospital. I've been having some serious discomfort standing up, bending over and standing for any period of time. I talked to my PCP (Primary Care Provider) and got him to OK a referral to the Spine Injury folks and then went to them and got the OK to get a steroid shot to the back to help alleviate some of the discomfort. 

I got one of these steroid shots way back in November of 2012. It worked and for a long time, I felt almost normal. That's a great feeling, by the way and I wanted it back.

So, today was the day for the shot. I fasted this morning and got myself ready for the shot. Here we go, traveling up S. Alaska Street where it intersects with Beacon Avenue. Always the traffic.


Once you clear the intersection, there's a half-mile stretch of smooth driving until you have to... 


...turn right into the VA Campus. I wonder who was the first one to call the work area, the grounds where you worked, a campus. I think it's kinda silly myself. 

Google has a campus. Microsoft has a campus. So,  naturally the VA, a huge success like the other two, has one, too.


This is the main entrance. Used to be you drove straight up the road to the front of the hospital and then parked to the left. They're building a Parking Garage in the old Main Parking Lot and so that whole area is closed off.

Now, you've got to hang a right and go around to the rear of the hospital.


You follow the road around to get to the far side of the parking lot so you can drive back to this side and the new Valet Parking Lot. 

And you can get an idea of what kind of weather we're having now. Hahaha, things are back to normal and I like it!!


On this circuitous route, you pass the little Flower Island with it's sunflowers. And some corn, too.


It's the neatest thing, this Valet Parking. 

Used to be I'd experience a great deal of frustration and, yeah, pain while parking at the VA before they started this. I'd have to drive around and around looking for a parking spot and then it would always be a good distance from the entrance and when your back is hurting and pinching a nerve that radiates pain down your right leg with each and every step...you want to avoid having to take those steps as much as possible.

Now the Valet Service allows you to get reasonably close to the entrance each and every time. It's just a matter of getting to the Valet area, getting your receipt and going on to your appointment.

Sweet!!

Love it!!


OK, we got the Mini taken care of and now to find out where we were suppose to go.

Another neat thing is they send you a postcard to remind you of your appointment. Now I always have something I can reference when I go. It's a complex and confusing place and always hard for me to find my way around.

And, before I forget, Thank you, America, for the care you give me through the VA. I do appreciate it...a lot!!


So to get into the hospital now, you have to come in the back door. It's a bit longer walk but you make some concessions when you're getting a new Parking Garage.


The building on the left is the cafeteria. It's no great shakes and kinda pricey, I think, but it is convenient.

Follow the sign...


Here's the Happy Guy on his way to get two shots into his spine.

Right between L4-L5 and L5-S1.

Keen fun!!

Booyah!!


Haha, we cleared the cafeteria building and now to the South Entrance. It's a hike.


As were were walking up, I grabbed this shot of a jetliner flying over the hospital. Almost rates as an Artsy-Fartsy shot. Almost. I think this is more an environmental shot, myself. 

With a jet thrown in for fun.


The cafeteria is still on the left but we're heading up the walk towards the main building.


You know how folks from Seattle love eating outside whenever they can...they're not any different here at the VA. They've got a nice patio area where you can bring your food from the cafeteria and eat outside. Or come on out and have a smoke. Your call.


Hahaha, we made it. Now the rat's maze to get where I think it is I'm suppose to go to. This is why I ALWAYS leave early for my appointments.

Remember the Old Army Adage: If you ain't early, you're late!


Speak of the devil!! Or devils if you will.

         

Heading towards the East Wing. This is, honestly, one rabbit's warren of halls and confusion. All on a whole bunch of different floors.


Hahahaha, we were both totally happy we'd found the right elevator. The original one from when the hospital was built.


After the end of World War II, the VA found it necessary to locate a facility in the booming metropolis of Seattle to accommodate the many returning war Veterans.

The Seattle Division was constructed from 1949 to 1951, on a 44-acre site that had been a part of Jefferson Park. The site was dedicated on May 15, 1951, on Beacon Hill, with views of downtown Seattle and the Puget Sound to the North and Northwest: Mt. Rainier and the Cascade mountain range to the South and Southeast.

Here's a shot of the facility taken in the 70s. See the parking lot in the foreground? That's the part being torn up for the new Parking Garage.

Undated photo. Circa 1970's.
Back to the here and now, we did find the right elevator and we were on the right way, down this hall, to the Same-Day Surgery Ward.


And, there we waited to be called. I got in and got my shots and it only took about three hours. I remember when I got my first shot by a civilian practitioner. These were for-profit folks and they didn't mess around. I didn't have to strip and put on a gown, nope. It was get up here,  lower the pants, pull up the shirt and BAM!!

But it's all good. I got the shots and I hope they are worth the effort I put into getting them...and the discomfort.

Ouchie!!

As a treat, we went down to the cafeteria and I got me some pizza. Hahaha, almost worth it just for the pizza, y'know!?!


I think we both agreed it was some pretty good pizza...for a VA Cafeteria.


This one was doing a little day-dreaming at the jewelry display.

We stopped at the Canteen. It's bigger than the one at Fort Bliss, but it's not better. That Canteen always had some wild sales going on. I could always count on something cool being on sale when I went to the Canteen at Bliss.

Not so much here. Hardly any at all.


Soon enough, we were heading out. Another reason for dallying in the Cafeteria for lunch was to make sure I had my legs under me. 

Out in the patio area, they had a tent set up to give out free flu shots. When I was in the Army, I had to get a flu shot every year. Without fail! Also without fail, I would get sick, every year, right after I got the shot. So I resolved that once I'd retired, I would not get any more flu shots. And I haven't.

Guess what...I haven't had the flu in I don't know how long...but I think my streak started around the time I retired.

Hahahahahaha...


Just to establish that it really is Autumn. I do like these leaves and their colors.


When we left, we walked over to the Flower Island before we got the Mini and I got these pictures. All in a small area about 6ft X 6ft.



A sunflower.




The flowers, ain't they something!!??!! 

We got the Mini and headed back home.


Instead of going down MLK, I like to take a right on Beacon Avenue. We've been for walks on the park that goes down the middle of this avenue. It's something else.


Another view of Beacon Avenue.


One last one. You can tell the skies are overcast and grey but the trees are blazing with color.


From Beacon we turn left onto Myrtle, which, in turn, becomes Othello. We're heading down the hill. The SPD South Precinct Station is on the right and the Van Assalt Playground and Chief Sealth Trail are on the left.


Here's the Ghetto Safeway as we're going east on Othello towards MLK.


The bandits at the 76 station. These guys are always .40 to .50 cents higher than the places I get gas at. We're turning left onto Renton Ave. S off of MLK.


And here's your intrepid guide and novel narrator.

Looking good, Jackie B. Looking good!!


Another landmark are these houses, all duplexes and all built from the same set of plans with a few cosmetic changes to each one so they don't look all exactly alike.


Annnnnd, we were back long enough for me to learn that we were nearly out of bird food.

Can't let that happen now, can we!?!

Quick!! To the Mini!!

Heading down Renton Ave towards the turn on Henderson. 

The 'Hood.


But before we got to the Walmart, we stopped at Vinnie's (Vincent de Paul) for some We got the time to waste let's go see what's cooking at Vinnie's entertainment. 


I was tempted. If only he wasn't a doggone Canadian!!

If only...


Ah, this is the stuff dreams, or nightmares, are made of.

You will love me...you will!!


And, finally, to Wally's!!

And they've got Christmas going in full swing now. To heck with Halloween!! Trip past Thanksgiving!! Let's go straight to Christmas!!

Ca-Ching!!

Look at that!! A fake tree is selling for $129!! What the heck!?!?


It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas...

Everywhere I go...


Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho and ho, y'all!!



Silver bells, silver bells, it's Christmas time in the city...


Santa:

These aren't the elves you're looking for...

StormTrooper: 

Oh, OK. Thanks.

Good grief, I can remember buying some of these (they were about three inches high then) for my Baby Boy, Joby, way back in '79 or '80. 


Happy (and dressed normally) Wally Shoppers!!


Look at what they tempt you with as you leave the store. This is one of those machines that takes your money to let you bounce a crane off the top of these dolls. Most of them are so tightly wedged in you'd need an entrenching tool to get them loose.


But they did have Betty Boop representing, for some inexplicable reason, September!!

Hooah!! My birth month AND a really foxy cartoon character!!

Win-Win!!


Gosh! Maybe Halloween hasn't passed us by yet!! I thought what with all the Christmas...oh, never mind.


     Scarecrow Selfie     

We did talk this guy into posing for a selfie with us. 


We stopped by our park and I was pooped. I woke up at 0200 in the morning earlier and wasn't able to get back to sleep and so by this time I was shot.

This is the long way to explain that we stopped by our park so we could enjoy a couple of those Double Chocolate Muffins and catch a glimpse of the Eagle soaring across the lake before going to the Eagle Tree and I didn't get any pictures.

As I said, I was tired.

But, after a short nap, I was ready for a walk. We've neglected our walks lately and I was thinking we should get back into the swing with them so Carol and I took a short jaunt around the 'Hood.

And, quite naturally, I got some more shots of flowers, the 'Hood and this and that.

First off, here's the flowers.


Yeah, I know. Same flower but one is a vertical shot and the other a horizontal one. Still, they both have a bit of a different feel to them.

And I know I ain't fooling you, I likes 'em both!!


This was just an odd angle and the light, in person, put a different spin on this fence. The light kinda paled being transferred to this format but you get an idea of how slap-dash the fence is.


And from that, we move back into flowers.

All of these pictures were taken from one small cluster of flowers. 




This one is on his way out. Still looking good but definitely heading south.


Ain't this a shame? I don't know the story but this house was abandoned a couple years ago. It's a nice looking, large home but...it's empty. And an empty house attracts all kinds of vermin including the kind with a spray can and very little brains.


Whoop!! Here comes the magic carpet!!

The Link!!


I know we live in Seattle, and I know it is a major metropolitan area and so I am always surprised and pleased to run into things like this in the city.

This hen was on the fence and there were two others roosting in the tree just above the sidewalk.

Haha, seriously, chickens in Seattle. What a crazy world, eh?


A Common Morning Glory.

I like the subtle green set in the center of all that white.


     Artsy-Fartsy Alert!!     

I told you I liked the leaves. This one was still on the tree.


Looking down Kenyon towards Renton Avenue. Nice area, right?


Whoa!! There goes the Link, again!!

Love the Link. It takes us anywhere we want to go downtown. It's opened the door to a load of fun for us.


Ah, yes, the corner of Kenyon and Renton. 


And at this corner is the Victory Grocery. They rarely have Diet Coke. 

Honestly, how can they call themselves a grocery store when they don't even have Diet Coke on a regular basis!?!?!

Which is why I think they make their main money in other ways.

Hmmmm...


OK, this is our 'Hood. 

Rarely do we have dramatic skies but we always, always have telephone and power lines strung all over the place. Gonna look at the one you gotta look at the other.




And this shot. What a sky!! Don't get 'em like this often.


So it was a hodgepodge day. 

From a trip to the VA to a stop at Wally's and all the points in-between. It was a good day. Days like this are a real gift. I do appreciate them. And I appreciate this cooler weather, too.

Life is good.



     Hooah!!     

No comments:

Post a Comment