Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Bainbridge Island

Getting to the Bainbridge Island is the adventure. The Island itself, well, it's kind of a wash. But, getting there, now that's the fun.

And so we hit the WSDOT Ferry System!!! It really was keen fun on a hot, cloudless Seattle day. And it was HOT today. Hot, hot, hot!!!

But that wasn't gonna slow us down. Nope. We took off for the Link and headed downtown. 

But first, we saw some new flowers on our walk to the Link. I mean, we walk this half a mile to the Link several times a week and it seems like every time we do, we run into some new, different and definitely lovely flowers. Every time.

Hahaha, this has truly been the year of the flower for me. I doubt I would have seen any of them without having been retired and, of course, Carol, who has opened up a new world for me.

These Yucca Flowers are also known as, The Lord's Candles.


I still don't know what these are called. Carol tells me the name but it doesn't even slow down as it passes through my head from one ear to the other.

But it is cool, isn't it!?!?!


And this thing!! 

WTH!!

Is it of this world??

"Feed me, Seymour!"


And then this weed. Little tuffs popping up among all the tall grass and dandelions.


Then, in a rose bush filled with fading beauties we ran into this nascent beauty.

A lot of pleasant surprises today.


I'm still trying to work on getting that telephoto effect. You know, where everything looks like it is stacked onto itself. 

It's getting a little bit better.


And, POW!! BAM!! Pretty neat, eh? 

The delicate center of this flower…WOW!!


Then there was this one. Look at that color…how subtle.


Wow, what color! Just out there on the side of the road.


So, in my ambles round the neighborhood, I've never been too hesitant to step into a yard for a picture. 

Passing a house, I saw this cat watching us from a window. I saw a flower inside the yard that I wanted a picture of so I ambled on over for a shot and...


The look went from that, above, to this, below. I guess I really ticked him off when I stepped into HIS yard for a picture. If looks could kill, right!?!

OK, I'm not proud of this but after I got my picture of the flower and then of the cat I blew a large, loud and wet raspberry in his direction.

I mean, c'mon, lighten up, Kitty Cat.


Finally, we made it to the Link. Let's go!!


We got off at the Pioneer Square Station and walked down James Street. Here's the famous building on the Square. Love the color and the detail in this old beauty.


And the pergola. It's been on the Square since 1909 and it lends an ambiance to the whole Square. The Square wouldn't be the same without it.


And the flowers. They've got these hanging pots of flowers everywhere downtown. What a touch of class. Makes me love this adopted city o' mine.


The sky today was….BLUE. Very, very, very blue.


We got down to the waterfront, finally, and saw this sign guiding us to our next step in this adventure. Let's go take a ferry.


Cars to the left and peoples to the right, please. Keep moving...


Pier 52. Hooah!! Had to go up some steps…I'm not real friendly with steps. But at the top there we were….at Pier 52, home of the Bainbridge Ferry.


As we walked up to buy our tickets, we saw where they were stacking up the cars and trucks for this trip.


OK, into line…moving…moving…and


We got our tickets. 

Wave 2 Go, ya'll!!!


Got the tickets now let's go and get into….

another line.


But, eventually, they unloaded the ferry and we were ready to board.

We hit it at a good time. We only had to wait in the line to board for about 8 minutes. Not bad, Jackie B, not bad. Sometimes Karma cuts you some slack, Buddy.


As we were walking on board, we could see the vehicles loading up.


Hey, looking good.

That's the fire station and fire boat behind Carol.

Cuz she's so hot!!


The Ferris Wheel and the tourist pier…

The Seattle Ferris Wheel is a recent addition to the Waterfront. They opened up in June, 2012. It's about 200 feet high and the gondolas are both heated and air-conditioned…depending on the day. It costs $13 for a ride on it. Really?


C'mon, cars, let's go. We were up on the observation deck (?) waiting for the Ferry to load up and leave.


It was such a beautiful day…if a little hot…

Oh, who am I kidding!?! It was freakin' HOT!!!

It was 96 degrees HOT.

So, naturally, people were out in their boats.


And we were on our boat, the Tacoma. Hooah!! 

Proud veteran!!


The waterfront of Seattle from the Space Needle to the Ferris Wheel. 

And, look!!! No clouds!! None!! 

Freaky!!


Ok, it's not often I see the Ferris Wheel from this direction. So I took a lot of pictures.

Sue me.

See the seagull? 

Cool, eh?


Boating and the Space Needle. 


The BIG VIEW.


A Seattle Icon, The Space Needle...


Straight across the Bay. The water was hard blue, today.


One of the Tacoma's sister Ferries.


After a while, we went into the Galley and ate our lunch. Never crowded, looking good.


Looking down the Galley to the other end of the boat. Plenty of room and windows to stare out of.


As we were making our approach into Bainbridge Island, the Skipper blew his horn, loudly, several times. 

This little lady was pretty much in the path of the Ferry making it's approach to the Island. I noticed that when the Skipper blew his horn, the paddle activity picked up…a lot!!


There it is, the landing at Bainbridge.


And….easy does it...


First off, the bikers. I have a sore point with the bikers. They should have been last.


Woo, woo!! Riding round Elliot Bay on a Ferry!! 

One of the Washington State Ferries!!


Of course, everyone had to get off when we landed. We pretty much walked up the road a little bit, decided it was too dull and ran (Yeah, I said it. We ran…well, I rumbled and groaned quickly) back to the Tacoma. 

We almost didn't make it. The friendly fellow at the gate just before getting on was ready to close the gate as we came huffin' and puffin' up.


But we made it and then we were off…passing more ferries.


Got this pic a we were nearing Seattle.


Seattle is a big port for cruises up to Alaska and over to Hawaii…Here's one of the luxury ships that will "soon be making another run…promises something for everyone..."


Selfies!!

And, no, I wasn't trying for a combover…but, hey, not too bad. Needs a little attention to detail is all.


There's that Ferris Wheel again. Got it going out and coming in...


Seattle...


Seattle, The Emerald City...


And the Ferris Wheel.


That's one of the Argosy boats there, on the right hand side. Not exactly The Love Boat but it'll get you around the Bay.

And look, Red Robin, Ummmmmmm,,,,


Looking good...


Just a lot of good color. You can see two of the sky cranes in this picture. One of the constants about Seattle are the cranes…there is always something going up, up, up here. Alway see the cranes.


This ol' boy was coming into the pier as we were arriving.

Chips ahoy!!!


Possibly. The. Best. Picture. Of. A. Gull. I've. Ever. Gotten.

And, heaven knows, I've tried it a lot of times.

Thanks, Don!


Seattle...


Walking up to Third Avenue.


The architecture downtown is such a strange blend of the old and the new and the…odd.


Soccer today!! U.S.A. vs. Belgium.

When it was over it was Belgium 2-1.

These guys were taking a smoke break from all the excitement and catching up on some reading.

Hmmmmmm, a bar AND a barbershop.

Sounds legit.


And it is here, at the Federal Building, that Carol and I were detained by a BRAND-NEW, I don't really know what I'm doing so stay here while I make a phone call cuz you were taking a picture so don't move, OK?, Officer. 

It was funny, afterwards. Long afterwards.


One of the many things I appreciate and like about this city is that they make an effort to beautify the place. Flowerpots abound. 

There are almost as many as the wonderfully witty and always entertaining Homeless. 

Which is one of the things I least like about this city.


And Seattle is definitely put together in an odd, eclectic way. 

Roads here and roads there.


Yeah, it's me being artsy-fartsy again.

I call this, "A Study In Blue"


But I do love the texture and feel of these old brick buildings. And the history. We found a book in the library that takes you on a tour of the historic buildings downtown and explains a bit about each one. Gotta check that book out again. When it cools off.


The S.A.M.

The Seattle Art Museum.

Someday, maybe, I'll visit it. Someday. Maybe.


Third Avenue…They line the streets, all the streets, with trees…another thing I like about Seattle.


And color. It's a colorful city. People and places. 

The patches of light on the wall to the left? It's the sun reflecting off the windows of the building across the street. 

And, yeah, it did make the street a whole lot hotter. (You starting to see a trend here between me and the temperature?)


Here's one happy girl. Loving the sun!!


We went by the Pike Place Market and, looking down, saw this in the Pike Brewing Co. Sitting there, drinking and watching...

Soccer.

B.O.R.I.N.G.


It was a lot more fun to stand and salivate outside the Chocolate Store. 

Mmmmmmm...


And, finally, we got to the Market and the fish stall where they throw the fish.

No fish were flying…

The crowds were thin. I thought they'd be super crowded but they weren't.

It was too hot.



The Corner Market Bulding…serving Seattleites since 1912.


And a great selfie. At the Market.


Finally, we passed this old Kress Store as we were going East up Pine. It's a Kress IGA market now but it must have been a beauty in its day.


A fun day even if it was too hot for normal humans…in Seattle.

Still so much to see and do here.

Hooah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment