Monday, July 28, 2014

Postcards - 7/23/14

This one is a bit late but it is still good. My Grandson, Chris, sent me a leaf postcard. He also sent several to his sibs back home, too.

I like this for a couple reasons:

Reason #1 - It's a leaf!! Look at it!! It's a leaf!! Seriously, how many people can say they've gotten a leaf through the mail…as a postcard.

Chris had gone to a Sea Camp down in Florida and found out, as Scouts find out all fun things to do, that you could mail a leaf as a postcard. As you can read, Chris tells me that the leaf is the only thing other than paper that can be mailed.

Reason #2 - He thought of me. I mean, this is really cool, he's down there having a blast in Florida at a Sea Camp and he thought of me…along with his family, of course. I really like that idea…that he thought of me, too.

Reason #3 - Chris recently (and I mean the ink isn't even dry on the certificate yet recently) earned his Eagle Badge. Hooah!! He's an Eagle!! That's some serious bragging rights there, y'know.

Not only did he earn his Eagle, but he recognizes that being an Eagle is something special. Something to be proud of. Keen insight, there. Usually, it takes some time and distance before a teenager appreciates just how great an honor and achievement it is to become an Eagle Scout.

And, finally, he acknowledges that all three of my sons, and all three of his Uncles on his Mom's side, are also members of that exclusive Fraternity, Eagle Scouts. And this includes my son-in-law, his Stepfather. All Eagles…

And I appreciate that he also is aware that I am not an Eagle. Again, that recognition of how truly unique this particular achievement is. Yeah, I'm not an Eagle and I'll never have the chance, again, to be an Eagle but…as Chris points out, I can still be an influence, in a small way, to helping someone else to be an Eagle. I'm really pleased that he can see all this and put it into such a short note.

Reason #4 - And the final reason. He committed to me to getting his Photography Merit Badge. I really enjoy photography and, quite naturally, want to share my happiness. I've tried to allow all my kids to get involved with my hobby and, happily, a couple have expressed an interest.

Then Chris had a chance to shoot some pictures for the High School Yearbook and he began to enjoy this thing called photography. Hooah!! I was able to take Chris out one afternoon for a short photo shoot on the way to a Flea Market to find him a pocket knife. I had a lot of fun.

Anyway, he is having fun and that's the purpose. Keep on shooting, Chris!!

And you're right, I did do something right.


Haha, my leaf postcard!!


Thanks, Chris!!

Oh, and I was totally serious about being your Photography Merit Badge Counselor. Check it out and let's get'er done!!

Hooah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment