Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Flowers, Spider Webs and More. 7/28/14

Another day and another walk. These walks are always interesting. It seems we discover something new each time we go out.

So we get some exercise and I get plenty of opportunities to take some pictures and see something I've not seen before. 

Not too much to see here. We went for an afternoon stroll and so this is mostly flowers with a few of this and that thrown in for some flavor. 

Like this…an old door to a garage. It looks pretty close to an original door from the 20s for one of those small, one-car garages they used to build to house the Ol' Model T. They were pretty thin those Ol' Tin Lizzies.


I thought it interesting.

Then, ambling along, POW!! More flowers that I don't think I've seen before.


And, of course, our ubiquitous friend, the bee, a winged, flower-feeding insect with branched body hairs. Bees are, in fact, the most important pollinating insects, and their interdependence with plants makes them an excellent example of the type of symbiosis known as mutualism, an association between unlike organisms that is beneficial to both parties.


Much like the relationship between the Football Jock and the High School Nerd during Finals week.

But I digress, more flowers!!!

Ah, there ya go!!


During this walk, I was able to do something I've never been able to do before. 

I got a picture of spider webs, several, actually. I've tried it before and failed miserably but this time I was able to get some background and, BAM!, there it was.

Side Note: I was actually across the street from the tree these webs were in and was shooting with an EXTREME zoom. That ol' lens was a wobblin' and a-bobbin' round but I got lucky. Carol tells me that these webs were done by an Orb Weaver Spider. 

I guess.


More of the same. I shot a lot. It took a while but I tucked in my elbows and got these shots.

From about 40 or 50 feet away.


Same general area but a different web and, obviously, a different background. 

Love this zoom lens. 


OK, more flowers. I know how much you love them.


Some of the groupings are so cool. 


Now, the house on the corner has chickens and I've listened to his roosters greeting the dawn for many years now. I've come to understand I live in an urban environment in a major metropolitan area that, surprisingly, still has rural elements in it.

Chickens, for example. Oh, and the raccoons that raid the trash cans every-so-often. I mean, c'mon, raccoons in Seattle!?! But I was talking about chickens. There we are, walking about two blocks SOUTH of where the chickens I know are and…BOOM!!

Right there in the front yard is an elaborate chicken coop (obviously built to last a while) in the front yard of a house on Renton Ave., S. And inside the elaborate coop were these…

Chickens.


Interesting sidebar, I know, so let's get back to something we all know I do…

Flowers.

I know these are kinda sad, they're in the Autumn of their cycle. Still, they're pleasing and the arrangement was nice.


And, off to the side, was this loner. 

Lookin' good!!


What!?! Honestly!?!

You thought I was through with webs!?!?!

Haha, silly you.

Nope, I'm usually a one-pony show and when I get on that pony, well, I ride it 'til it drops.

So, bear with me.


More 

F*L*O*W*E*R*S.

Love these cone flowers.


And this one…like a pinwheel.

Just out there in Nature, doing its thing.


Pretty cool, eh?

I take no credit for these beauties. I mean, I just point the camera and squeeze the button down. 

The beauty is there all the time and it's still there when I leave. 

I just get to take a picture of it.


These cones are so cool with the petals falling down and behind the cone.


I don't know. It was there and I shot them and it looked kinda nice.


And, finally, our haul from the yard. 

The pear tree in the backyard has been prolific. It's not the picture perfect pears you get at Safeway but they're just as tasty and…they're ORGANIC!!

I guess that's the big thing these days. Organic.

Oh, and we got some tomatoes. Our tomato plants are kicking into gear now and we got two today and there are plenty more just starting to turn.


So, there it is. The big deal of the day was the walk around the neighborhood. 

And it didn't disappoint!!

Hooah!!



No comments:

Post a Comment