Friday, August 22, 2014

Aloha, Y'all - 8/22/14

Or - Don't Make a Pig of Yourself!!

Even though we got off to a slow start today, we got a lot done.

First thing was to drop off my prescriptions at the VA. I am having a small problem with my eyes monitored. As part of the treatment, they wrote me a prescription and so, I brought them in today and started the process. In 7-8 weeks my glasses will magically appear!!

A lot has been said about the VA recently and not much of it good. For my part, I am extremely grateful for all that I've received through the Veteran's Administration. They've done some good things for me…they haven't always been quite what I wanted but they do take care of me and, for sure, the price is always right.

After we'd dropped off my prescriptions, I took Carol by the small garden they have on the 'campus' (that always cracks me up, when businesses or hospitals or whatever refer to their grounds as a 'campus'). It's a regular garden, almost, set on a small patch of open ground near the parking lot.

I took her over to show her the sunflowers and we ran into this!! They've got several pumpkins growing in their patch. 

What a cool idea...


And the sunflowers…they're about ready. Did you know that Europe and Russia produce over 60% of the world's sunflowers. Yep!!

And, the sunflower seed is the fruit of the sunflower (Helianthus Annuus ((Hahahaha, they said annuss)). The term "Sunflower Seed" is actually a misnomer when applied to the seed in its pericarp (hull). Botanically speaking, it is more properly referred to as an achene. When dehulled, the edible remainder is called the sunflower kernel or heart. 

I'm jes sayin'.

And, because I'm on a roll, the sunflower is the National Flower of Russia as well as the State Flower of Kansas.

Lesson is over.


Here are the little florets getting ready to become seeds like we enjoy eating. Can you see them?


No? 

Let me get a little closer.

Now, how about that? Can you see them now? 

Pretty freakin' amazing, eh!?!


And this wild beauty. 

Look!! Flowers…within flowers!!

Wild!!


And a bee.


Then there was this pinwheel. Just wild.

Mother Nature…she's got a good eye.


Something a bit more gentle...


And then this.

A "Happy Accident"

One of those times when it just comes out, despite my laissez faire approach to my photography. 

POW!!


And, I think, it gets better!!

Happy Accident #2

BAM!!


And a selfie with part of the VA behind us. I've spent so much time there since January, I ought to have a picture or two of it.


Then we were off to the Luau.

The Luau Funraiser was being held for…

King County Fire District 20.


And they were there to participate in all the fun. Except when they had to roll this engine out on a call. But they came back.


The Luau was hosted by the Lakeshore Retirement Community. While some of the seniors come for the breathtaking views of Lake Washignton and Mt. Rainier, it's the friendly faces, excellent services and the tight-knit community that draws residents to The Lakeshore.

Studio - from $2,300
One Bedroom - from $2,890
Two Bedroom - from $4,025

Picture me with jaw on floor.

Regardless, they know how to throw a good party. Oh, and their dining room does have a great view of Lake Washington…and Carol and I when we picnic at our park.

They had the front entry all laid out for the Luau. Not enough tents, though. You know how brutal that Summer Sun in Seattle can be. 

Not enough tents.


But it was OK cuz they had an in with the local FD and the EMTs were already on the ground and ready for Heat Stroke, Exhaustion or Cramps.

They wuz ready.


They had live music. These guys were good. Pleasant voices and good accompaniment on the guitars. They did "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and nailed it mixing it with "It's A Wonderful World".


Aloha, y'all!!!


It was a LOT busier than I thought it would be. I didn't expect the crowds but, then, they had a large, built-in audience with the folks from the home and I think they even bussed in some Old Fogies from another home. They wuz everwhere!!

I saw some great Hawaiian Shirts. 


And they had dancers. These two girls, sisters, did a great job. I got this shot while waiting in line for the grub. And it were good!! But I digress as I am still in line at this point.


The line snaked around the roasting pig. 

Mmmmmmm...


And, some more shots of the entertainment. 

These girls had a lot of wardrobe changes.

A LOT!!


It was fun, the Emcee would explain the dance and what they were saying and the band would play it loud enough to hear but not so loud as to make your ears bleed. 

Perfect.


She's talking to us now.

Don't know what she's saying but it sure is pretty.


You can tell I got carried away taking pictures of the dancers.

So sue me!!

Hahahahahaha...


We were getting closer…we could see the blow-up palm tree with the oddly colored coconuts.

It was a LOOOONG line and it was in the Sun.

A lot.


We were almost there. They were serving it up buffet style.


Close as we were, there was still time for another picture of the dancers and the band.


She was out earlier…with her sister. Very poised and graceful young lady.


We rounded the corner and were on the home stretch now.

Aloha, food!!!


This little piggy…well, I'm pretty sure we were eating him.


Ah, finally. Then it was time to find a seat…in the sun. 

ARGH!!!

But I persevered, I did.

I whined and griped and moaned an awful lot, but I did presevere.

Here's Carol's plate and...


…here's mine. They did the potatoes in some kind of pineapple sauce. There was mahi-mahi and roasted pork and barbecued chicken and rice and noodle salad and some other kind of a salad. I, unfortunately, because of room limitations on my plate, had to decline the string beans and cooked carrots. Ratz, and I was so looking forward to them.

Hahahahahahaha!!!!


But, back to the entertainment.

Mind you, it's difficult eating greasy barbecued food with your fingers and then taking pictures and keeping your camera grease-free. But I did it. 

I persevered.

The staff had practiced a dance for the folks in the home and they did a reasonable job. A lot of white rhythm at work here, folks.

A lot.


But, fortunately, it didn't affect anyone's appetite.

It didn't bother mine one bit because I waited til the line got down to a manageable size and then went back for Round Two of the Pig-Out (pun intended) at the Luau.


We found a seat in the semi-shade and got to watch the entertainment. These kids were good.







And then I noticed this gentleman. Thought of my Dad. I wish he could have been here but I'm glad this gentleman was.

Thanks!!


And, more dancing.







There was even a chance for us to join in with a song about fishing.

We threw out our net into the sea and caught the fish and hauled him in…and we did it all with sign language. 

Sorta. 


After the Luau, we walked back to the Mini.

First, we looked for eagles in the trees and then Carol looked for turtles. She wasn't disappointed this time as she found one.


And the ducks came. 


Make way!!

Watch out, doggone it!!


And, Mom calmly watched it all. Keeping a count of her duckies.


Another beautiful day, and the kayaks were out.


And the dandelions were…losing their hair.


Finally, I got this picture of a well-fed and happy Carol. 


It was fun. I didn't mention the visit to St. Vincent De Paul where we scored a 75% discount on some books!!

Life is good when your stomach's full.

Aloha, y'all.

Hooah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment