Saturday, August 30, 2014

Rainy Day Saturday - 8/30/14

Or - You're all wet!!

It was that kind of a day. I did get to the gym and then, after that, there wasn't a doggone thing on my calendar. 

It was College Football and lazing about..and having an occasional beer along with the game. But you can only watch so much football and I was itching to get out of the house for a bit so we lit out for the Dollar Tree and then to follow our nose.

Why the Dollar Tree? Because every good adventure gets even better with some chocolate chip cookies. Oh, it could have been Double Chocolate Muffins but they were further away and cost a lot more. Plus, we've developed a taste for these chocolate chip cookies.

As we were going out, I got this picture of the flowers on our front porch. Carol rescued them and they've been doing great since she started caring for them.


After picking up the chocolate chip cookies at the Dollar Tree, we headed back towards the casa. 

And, I saw this monument and decided to stop, finally. I say finally because we've been by it hundreds of time and never stopped. 

So, today, on a rainy Saturday afternoon, we stopped. To heck with the rain, we're from Seattle. It's a way of life. 



It was a monument commemorating the 200th Birthday of the United States of America. I know this isn't true, but I stood there thinking they wouldn't bother erecting a patriotic monument like this these days.


OK, fair enough. Pretty cool.


The park that we stopped at is on the West side of the airfield and runs parallel to the landing strip. It overlooks the Renton Airfield and the Boeing Plant. So we had a good view of all the planes they're constructing, fabricating, making, etc. Bottom line is, they're making money, honey!!


And they do roll out the planes. Once they're finished, they take off from this field to wherever it is they're going. 

And the parade never stops.


An overview of the planes undergoing their final, interior, touches.


Walking around the park, I got these pictures.


It was still drizzling…a bit.


I really like the pictures you can get after it rains.


The rain sorta snaps up all the pictures.


Gives them an another dimension.


Sparks up the picture.


Even mundane objects take on an extra luster.


And this one was Singing In the Rain…and dancing with her umbrella.


Just to show you that things have finally gotten back to normal, I got this shot of Mt. Rainier.

What!?! You can't see it?

Hahahaha, this picture was taken in the right direction but the mountain is hidden a bit by the normal weather for Seattle.


And, after looking up, for Mt. Rainier, I looked down and saw this little guy.

What attracted my attention at first was the lone 'dart' sitting on top of this dandelion. So I zoomed in and got this shot.

Hahaha, I've seen it before (not up close) but I've never realized that they were like little darts all stuck into a white foam ball.

Pretty cool, eh?


Just an interesting view of a water tower across the valley.


And, to press home the fact that it is a cloudy, overcast and rainy day. A shot from the monument park looking North over the airfield towards Lake Washington.


Then, after we'd seen all we wanted at the monument park, we drove on over to our park.

Gotta have a nice place to eat your chocolate chip cookies, right?

Plus, we just like visiting our park and seeing what's to be seen.

As we came in, we said hello to Fran and her two dogs and chatted with her for a while. Then I glanced up at the Eagle Tree and, BAM, there he was!!

I took this just to give you an idea of what we saw. Mind, this is still zoomed in, but not as much as...


…this one was!!

After Fran left, Carol stood and called to the Eagle to get him to look our way and, doggone it, he did. And I got the picture to prove it!!

Hahahaha, I love it when silly works.


One final shot of his Regal Majesticness.

Don't mess with me!!


Since this was a rainy day for firsts, I followed the airfield road and we came to the main entrance to  the Renton Municipal Airport, Clayton Scott Field.

Est. 1922

Our first time visiting this small park, too.


We got a good view of the airfield looking from the South End towards the North End.

And the clouds. 

Did I mention that things have gotten back to normal and that we've got cloudy, overcast days with a drizzling rain.

Finally!!!


And, we got to see the Clayton Scott Memorial.

It was a day for monuments and memorials.


And a frontside view.

Nicely done. It shows a good statue of Clayton, standing on a globe and leaning against a pole with a series of props bearing the name and distance to a whole bunch of different cities.


Here's Clayton. He passed away in 2006 at the age of 101. He started flying when he was in his 20s and was the personal pilot for the founder of the Boeing Company.

In addition, he did a bunch of other aviation stuff.


Artsy-Fartsy Alert!!

Same guy, different, artistic, angle.


And you thought you'd gotten by with just that one shot of flowers at the beginning.

Hahahaha, wrong!!

Day Lilies.



Extreme Close-Up


OK, and this. When I got home and checked Facebook, like I always do, I found a challenge from Amy. It was the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge. Doggone it, I was REALLY hoping to dodge that particular silly bullet.

What could I do? Honestly, if there was a way I could have weaseled out of it I would have. But I was stuck cuz she'd posted the challenge on Facebook and ALL my kids knew about. Oh, believe me, I tried to figure out a way out of it.

When I finally figured out I was really and truly stuck, I decided to go ahead and get it over with.

I went upstairs and got the neighbors to 1. Donate the ice, and, 2. Take the movie. Carol gleefully volunteered to pour the ice water over me.

So, stuck, I did it.

Here I am expressing my unhappiness to Amy.


And, then, SPLAT!! 

I deliberately didn't put a lot of ice into the bucket because, 1. I was getting the ice from someone else and, 2. I'm stupid but not exactly crazy.

Nonetheless, on this cold, cool, gusty, rainy, overcast and cloudy Great American Pacific Northwest kind of a day, that water was COLD!!


But I stoically bore up under the ordeal.

And I learned two things…1. Carol can pour cold water very slowly and, 2. She's got great aim!! She didn't miss a drop dropping my head.


And, I realized that…I am really and truly…

BALD!!!

I thought I still had some left but, Judas Priest!! Looking at this, I am totally and completely (almost) bald.

Bald, bald, bald, bald, bald-did-di-tee, bald.


And it was right about here where I was wanting to start hopping around and moaning and groaning.
  IT WERE COLD!!!

And I am so freakin' bald!!




Well, it was a good day. The rains have come back and it has gotten cooler. Much cooler and I am so much more comfortable now. And it was pretty much drizzling all day long.

I got the ALS Challenge out of the way and it wasn't all that difficult.

We got to see the Eagle again and we had us some fun, too.

All in all, it was a pretty good day.

Life is good, y'all!!

Hooah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment