Thursday, August 14, 2014

Dinner Downtown Part II - 8/2/14

More of the Downtown…After Chinatown.

You'll remember last time we met that I left off with this picture…and I was rhapsodizing about the beauty of the shot. Here's the original…uncropped and still looking good.

Anyway, the point being, after dinner in Chinatown Carol and I headed downtown to walk off our dinner. Besides, it was a beautiful American Northwest kinda day and why waste it?

Now you'll get to see some of my beautiful city…and not so many flowers, promise.


We are waaaaay down below the ground when we get off the Link. Did I mention that I Love the Link. A lot!! It takes us downtown to wherever we want to go and it does it all for a $1.50, both ways. 

Hahahahahaha, it's the right price for me!! And no worries about parking!!


We usually come on on the 3rd and Pine side of the Link and then head down Pine Street to the Bay and the Pike Place Market. And we usually pass the Chocolate Royale with all its attendant smells and alluring aromas.

Don't you love the trees along the street? I know Seattle doesn't have a monopoly on them, the trees, but they seem to just do them better. 

In fact, there was an article in the local Left-Leading Rag, The Seattle Times, about trees in the City…and that the wealthier neighborhoods had the most trees. You know, those evil damn conservatives. Hahahaha, no, not really. If you're rich enough to live in a ritzy neighborhood in Seattle then you're more than likely a Loony Liberal. Hahahaha!!


I have shot this sign, the "Public Market" one, not the little yellow one on the pole, dozens of times and never, ever got a decent picture.

I didn't break my record here, but I did put a dent in it. I sorta like this one but I think there's a better picture here…somewhere. I know there is because I've seen one. Unfortunately, it's always been shot by others.


It was later in the day when we arrived downtown at the Victor Steinbrueck Park (Vic's Park). The view was great in the setting sun. And you can always get a ferry in your shot…with a little patience.


The road in front of the Market is always alive with people…I'm still amazed that they haven't blocked off the street to vehicle traffic. Still, they let the cars through and it all seems to work. 


And in the Market, they have flowers…lots and lots of flowers. It's a smorgasbord of flowers. And standing tall in them all were these Sunflowers.


And these…


From the Market looking down on Vic's Park.

Oh, hey!! Look!!

Punch Wagon!!


Coming into Vic's Park. If you look real close you'll see a guy sitting on the concrete wall around the grassy area with a white cap on. He's just to the left of the Totem. 

He evidently makes his money banging on a drum and singing. He wasn't banging and so, because of the crowds, I walked between him and his coin collector thingie (which was, in my defense, several feet away from him). He really took offense to that and let me know, graphically, just how offended he was and I let him know how unimpressed I was with his comments. 

Fun way to make money but he did get one thing right when he said I was the, "kinda a@^#%*e who wouldn't" give him any money anyway. 

Hahaha, you definitely got that one right, Bro!! Right on!!


From Vic's Park we got a good view of the Warship there for Fleet Week. They were conducting tours and so we decided we'd come back and do the ship.


Wouldn't it be nice to live in an apartment with a view of Elliot Bay? It would be nice, nice and expensive. This was taken from Vic's Park looking back toward the City. I think I'd spend a lot of time out on the balcony.


Caught this guy napping on one of the Totems. Can't seem to get any good pictures of a Seagull but I got a semi-good one of this stupid sleeping pigeon.


The Goodtime II, part of the Argosy Fleet returning from another whale watching or Bay touring trip.


Now this is a good pic. I judge good pictures by whether or not they are Postcard Worthy (PW). I think this one might qualify as being PW. 

Whadya think? Would it make the cut?

The clouds make it.


Hahaha, the Market. Right then, we were on a hunt for the restrooms. 

What a great place the Market is. It was put together over time and nothing really fits but it all works together. It's like a maze of shops.

I'm still amazed at how early they close up things. I mean, it's like 1730 and they're already cleaning everything out.


One of the restaurants on the lower level. It's so small they use every available bit of space for their stuff. Even their extra Dr. Pepper's.


Same restaurant, same problem with space. 

It adds a bit to the overall ambiance of the place, though.

Classy with a bit of the practical.


From there we saw these stars in one of the shops. 

Seems these things are popular. I've seen them in several different stores, some in the Mall and now at the Market. Nice to look at but I wouldn't spend any money on them.


Then we saw this and it was funny…and true!!!



One of the stores has things from Africa.


And one had this neat glass mannequins head.


And then this…

Hahahaha, normally this is so true. Not lately, though. It's been hot, hot, hot. I've mentioned that, haven't I? That's its been hot. And dry. Terribly hot.

Anyway, normally this is true. 

Birds poop on the car…give it an hour or two and it's all washed off.


The flower stalls. 


And looking out from the front of the Market. Great light, eh?

Always movement at the Market.


The Market with the stupid sign…but at night the whole thing, "FARMERS MARKET" is lit up. During the day it is this lame half-lit sign and then at night it all lights up.

Hey, look!! There's they guy that was at SeaFair!! See him!?! There on the left, the guy on the bike taxi with the red shirt on.


I think this was on the S.S.Kresge building. Pretty neat, eh? Kinda Art Deco.


We walked up Pike Street to 3rd Ave and Westlake Park. Another Park right there in the middle of the city. With its 'slightly' different patrons.


And they've got ping pong tables there…in the park…in the middle of the city.

Ping...


Pong...


And a little playground.

I didn't see it this time but I've been there before when they've had a huge chessboard set up with two and three-foot pieces.


No chess for these kids. Up, down and all around.


Park scenes at Westlake Park.


It is a nice park but I wouldn't come here at night. The folks hanging around during the day are enough to make me cautious.


In the elevator, going down, I got this shot. I just wonder where my feet went to? I mean, they were there when I took the picture.

Hmmmmm…

I don't do stairs going down. It's tough on the ol' knees and so when I can I avoid that and ride the elevators. Plus the elevators always smell so good.


We went just a bit down to Pioneer Square. Love the Link.

Got this pic of the Smith Tower. See the railing? Someday I'll be going on up there for a view of the city. 


They knew how to build them back then. A detail of the Smith Tower.


And, just down from the Tower and the Link Station is Pioneer Square and its famous, iconic Pergola. Still looking for a good picture of the Pergola.


Pioneer Square. 


Pioneer Square.


Looking South, down 1st Avenue. The trees. 'Nuff said.


We took a breather in Pioneer Square and I got this Artsy-Fartsy shot of the bricks colored by the shadows of the setting sun.


It was Fleet Week and we saw all kinds of sailors roaming around. Even Ol' Lonesome George here, taking a break from his sight-seeing. I remember a few lonesome liberties in my time.


But those days are long past. And now there's a beautiful city to explore and so much more to see.

Life is good.

Hooah!!

No comments:

Post a Comment