Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Downtown... - 9/17/14

Or -...things'll be great when you're, Downtown, no finer place for sure, Downtown...


This one will be an entertaining ride but will, eventually, come around full circle. Trust me.



It's about the downtown. Carol and I headed downtown today to renew her Regional Reduced Fare Permit, or, as you civilians would call it, her Metro Pass. One of the essentials to our travels to Seattle's beautiful downtown has been the reduced fares we get when we ride the Link. 



It works outs to $3.00 for a round trip for the two of us. That means we get dropped off conveniently close to our desired location without having to put up with the frustrations of driving in and around downtown Seattle which, at best, is a lesson in exasperation and vexation, and, at worst, is a long and horrible Season in Hell. Then there is the added bonus of not having to look for a parking spot and the heartache of paying their exorbitant fees to park the Mini there. 




There's a lot of bonuses there, Kiddo!! At most it takes just 22-24 minutes to get all the way to Westlake, the end of the line. And we can sit and talk and watch the world go by in relative comfort. 



Love the Link.



When we left, I was in a real mood to get some pictures and I was looking down. I still remember that sage advice given to all fledgling photographers...if it is overcast, look down for your pictures. So I looked down a LOT!! Long story short (Too late, Jerk!!), I got a lot of pictures of weeds and flowers, etc., both coming and going from downtown. Bear with me and we'll get downtown eventually. And then, after a bit, you'll be longing for those care-free days when you were zipping past the flowers at the beginning.



But before we begin, let's look at our once-a-week treat when we go down to the laundromat to do our weekly laundry. Right next to the laundromat is a Somali restaurant/grocery store. We've been in there to eat a goat stew, something like an Anjera with the canjeero bread and it was, surprisingly, good. 



But I digress...once we get the laundry going we go next door to the Somali place and get ourselves some sambusa and mandazi.



A sambusa or samoosa is a fried or baked pastry with savory filling, such as spiced potatoes, onions, peas, lentils and sometimes ground lamb, ground beef or ground chicken. It is the triangular item on the left. Ours has either beef or chicken.



The mandazi is a Sweet Fried Bread, known as Qamdi in Somalia, and it is similar to a doughnut but is less sweet. In cities across Somalia, iambi as well as bur (Fry Dough) are common fare served in food stalls in marketplaces, in eateries spread along main thoroughfares, and is sold by street vendors.



They're our treats for doing the laundry. If I'm lucky, they'll have a DC in the cooler. Most weeks, though, they don't. Bummer.


Mmmmmmm, good!!


 OK, the laundry is done and we're back to the present. Mmmmm, that Mandazi is g-oooood!! But we were heading downtown, weren't we? Yes, yes we were. Let's go.


As I mentioned earlier, I was in a mood to take pictures. Carol figured out my enthusiasm for picture-taking today. I've been looking for a camera with a viewfinder and I finally found it. A Canon Powershot SX60 HS. It's going to be released in October of 2014 and it only costs $549.99. Now I've just got to start saving up some money.



Hahaha, regardless, it was a day for pictures...overcast and cloudy. I looked down...Boy, Howdy, did I ever look down.



Let's start with this weed. The amazing thing is, these are on the median between the sidewalk and the street and they're just...weeds. Usually, I walk right by without a second look. They're that small and insignificant. I've looked down before and never seen these...not today, though. I looked and I found and both Carol and I marveled at them. They're really pretty neat.



I got about 10 pictures of them but I'm really trying to discipline myself (Bad boy!!) with regard to how many pictures I included in this blog. So appreciate how many I left out and quit complaining about how many I left in. Cheez, some people.



Carol thinks these are English Plantain.



And this. This is really...awesome!! And it's a weed. It's a weed that is about the width of a quarter or maybe a good-sized nickel. I mean, they're small.

But look at them!!

We think they're some kind of a Field Clover.

Wow!!


Some more small weeds. They look like bouquets, eh?


Back to the original weed. 

Isn't that something!?!?!


Then we found this one. I took the picture just because it was an interesting juxtaposition to the living versions sitting next to it. That was all...just a quick shot.

When we were looking at the download Carol remarked that it looked like a Sea Turtle.

And it does. It does look like a Sea Turtle.

Cool.


Some kind of mutant dandelion. Just interesting looking.


We found all of these in the same area. It was like a treasure chest of weeds!! These are as small as the Field Clover.

We think they're Western Smelowskia.

Don't ask, I don't know.


But I know what these are!!

They're leaves!!

I took these because Autumn is coming on and the leaves are beginning to change color.


It's gonna be a great season for picture taking. We're starting to see the tips of the season change now. In fact, we're already talking about going on over to Coulon Park to check on the leaves in a day or two.


"Thank you, Mrs. Maynard."

The wife of one of the original founders introduced the dandelion to the area because she wanted to use it to brew tea for her sick husband.

They haven't stopped since. 

But this guy seems to be enjoying it.

Oh, buzz off!!


I kept returning to this weed, the Field Clover. But it's...really nice.


Ok, we moved on down the road and came across a rose bush. And caught this one.


And, even, further down the road, we kept seeing the Field Clover. And it kept on amazing me.


Boo Radley's House Selfie!!

I call this the Boo Radley House. Boo Radley was a character in To Kill a Mockingbird. He was the slow-witted boy kept in his house by embarrassed parents who becomes the hero and saves Scout from the bad guy. His house was rundown and looked vacant...just like this one. Hence the name.

But the lot is up for sale since it's been rezoned for multiple dwellings. In fact, I think it has sold already. I'll check next time we go that way.


Just beyond Boo's house were these roses. This one is cool because of the dead bud in front of the live one. Cool, right? 

OK, everybody's a critic these days. Cheez.



On the other side of the sidewalk were these weeds. I tell ya, these weeds, they're not that bad, y'know.


Othello Station Selfie!!

Here's our launch pad. We start every adventure here...heading downtown to the Emerald City.

At the Othello Station, New Holly

Artsy-Fartsy Alert!!

I don't know, I just took it because...and then I call it Artsy-Fartsy so I can have an excuse to include it with the other pictures.

Hmmmmm, maybe I should have done it in a B&W? I'll get back to you...


We got off at International/Chinatown so we could walk over to the Metro Transit Office to renew Carol's card. This route takes us by the Union Station.

What an architectural gem this is. Built in 1911 for the Union Pacific Railroad, it stopped operation in 1961. After nearly 30 years of sitting vacant, it was renovated in 2000 and is now the headquarters for Metro Transit.


It's on the U.S. Register of Historical Places and rightly so. Look at this...awesome.


And there is a bit of local history here, too. In the Roaring Twenties, they had a shoot-out inside the Union Station. They've save one of the benches that was caught in the crossfire for us to enjoy. That little black dots by that pretty lady? They're bullet-holes.


Looking north through the waiting room towards James Street. Elegant and classy... 


...as you can tell by looking at the light fixtures.


And the floor. All little tiles put in with a lot of back-breaking labor. 

Ouch!!

The benches are what is left of the original benches for the Station. Solid wood and beautifully made.


Another view of the front of the Union Station.

They did know how to build them back then.


We finally arrived at the Metro Office and...found an opportunity for a...

Reflected Selfie!!

We are such a fun an whacky couple!!


Brave Troopers, we pushed open the door and strode it only to encounter...this.

It was a line!!

What. The. Heck!?!

Last time we were here this thing was empty and we walked right up to a window. Didn't they know we were coming!?!

OK, see the two people at the counters being served? See the woman on the right...just over the shoulder of the large guy with the gray shirt on? 

She.Was. There. The. Whole. Time.

Honestly, some people. Didn't she know we were waiting?!? She left and we were the next ones that clerk served. Irritating!!


There she is, about five minutes in and she's still there and she'll be there for another 20+ minutes!!!!

But it was OK. We waited, paid our $3 extortions and now Carol's good to go on the Metro for another year. Hooah!!


Interesting side note.

Evidently, you MUST have a valid ID here at the Metro Transit Office for such immensely important things like cashing checks, using your credit card or applying for either a Permit or a Refund. 

This is not racist offensive, illegal, outrageous, discriminatory or anything else. However, requiring any form of ID for voting...well, that's a different story.

Honestly, which do you feel is more important? Voting or getting a refund?

Silly government. Silly liberals.

"Sure, anyone can vote!! Cash a check!?! Wait a minute, you got some ID?"

Now, we've taken care of our business. Everything after this is Jackie Time.

Time for some fun!!

And taking pictures is fun, fun, fun. 

Like these. What a cool apartment building, eh? The gray one. First thing I'd do is repaint that sucker. 


Crossing James Street. We're headed north up 2d Ave., for a while. Note the trees...I really like that about this city. And the flower baskets.


Whoa, there it is!! The Smith Tower. My favorite tower in the Emerald City.


Looking down towards First Avenue and Pioneer Square. There's the Sinking Ship parking lot. A beautiful Flat Iron Building was knocked down for this...thing.

Can you see why they call it the Sinking Ship parking lot?


Looking along Yesler towards First Avenue.  They've got those planters hanging everywhere. A classy touch of floral elegance and savor faire. And look!! See the chairs and tables outside? Seattlites are ALWAYS looking for an excuse to eat and drink outside. 

It's an illness or something.


Looking north up 2d Ave. The busy city. With UDub, Mariner and Seahawk flags. What would this city do with a basketball franchise? 

They'd go bat-crazy!!

Bonkers!!


Seattle is a city of hills. If you're traveling west to east you can always expect to go uphill. And in some places you REALLY go uphill!! It's steep!! Walk north up 1st Ave and you'll be going uphill. Gently, but still, it wears you out.


We'd just gotten past the Smith Tower, my favorite tower in all of Seattle, when we spotted this!!

I was so pleased and surprised that I stood and pointed as it cruised past us and then realized I wanted a picture...a wee bit too late.

It's the Poke Truck...Sam Choy's Hawaiian Food Truck. Hahaha, we just saw that the other day and put it in the Bent Burger Blog. Hahaha, right there by the Smith Tower.


A view of this beautiful city's outstanding architecture. 

Classy.


A detail of one of the buildings by Pioneer Square. I like the arches over the windows. 


And, it's not all peaches and cream in the Emerald City. An alley by Pioneer Square.


COKE TRUCK!!

Hahaha, I get five points!! I can't believe they get guys. like Tommy, to drive trucks through this city. I'd go crazy and get jailed for some insane act of road rage!! Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would.


We were heading to the Pioneer Square 7/11 for a DC and we passed this store. Again. 

Seriously, it is right there on the Square and these guys sell...

...Kilts,

unbelievable.

People in Seattle take some small degree of pride in their quirkiness. They are really sorta flakey. Honestly, some of the silliness I've seen.

Nice touch, though, with the Seahawk Jersey.


Looking up 1st towards the Pergola at Pioneer Square.


We're over on the west side of 1st Ave now, looking back at Pioneer Square. That's the Pergola there on the corner of Yesler and 1st.


And, turning around, the 7-Eleven.

It's convenient and that's the only reason I go there. It's one of my least favorite places near Pioneer Square.

Mind you, I have an impaired sense of smell. I mean, it takes a lot of stink to register with this snoozola. A lot.

And yet, given that aromatic handicap, I can still smell the urine in the doorway of this 7-Eleven every time I go there. A little part of the treasure that is our Valued Homeless.

I think, as I think about it, that I shall never go there again.


Got my soda and grabbed a brownie (BIG mistake-dry like a crusty bread) and we went back over to Pioneer Square to sit down, eat our brownie, drink our soda and watch the world go by.

It was a great plan.


But it didn't pan out. 

All the benches were occupied with the Valued Homeless and, honestly, I didn't want to sit on the space that was available. I know. I feel bad.

So we sat on the edge of a flower pot and listened to the Valued Homeless yell and curse at each other.

So I got this picture of the Totem. It was 'purchased' by City Elders from the Tlinglit Indians in 1899. An arsonist burned it down in 1938 and the city sent the pieces back to the Tlinglits who created a new totem for the Square. This time they made sure they were properly paid before letting the totem go.


Here's a close-up...






If you used your imagination, you could see a close-up of the whole thing. Hahaha, I still got it. I really, really do.

Looking down the concrete canyons of The Big City.


And, I saw this sign and knew I had to get a shot of 'Easy Joe's'. And, because I'm so naturally cool I did a...

Reflected Selfie!!

Possibly the best one I've taken to date.


Street scenes. 

Fado, just one of the many Irish Pubs in Seattle.

Street scene. Funny, I've never noticed the lights curved over the sidewalk like that. This is Columbia Street where it crosses 1st Ave. The sidewalk goes on but the street drops down. I know, crazy. C'mon up and I'll just show you...it's a lot easer than trying to explain it.


Brick wall advertisements. Detail of some of the older buildings downtown.


The Emerald City is always busy.


The SAM. I'm thinking we're gonna go there for the POP exhibit. Starts in October. Something to do with Pop Art. Right up my alley. I think.


Hahaha!! The Ducks!!

I'm gonna get a quacker so when they come by I can blow my quacker at them and wave like a crazy man!! I yelled and waved and got quacked at!!

Quack, quack, quack and quack...

You've seen this before...Starbucks. They're everywhere. 

Tourists and others. I figured out today why everyone takes us for tourists. 

I was walking and looking up at all the tall buildings and what-not and got the sudden thought that I really do act a lot like a tourist. Every time.

Haha, I love it!!


So we were done. Time to head back. 

And I was still looking down as we walked back.

And caught this.


Oh, FYI, we walked back on the OTHER side of the street. More photo ops.

Like this.


Berries...close-up.


And more berries...


ANNNND, even more berries.

It's over.


Sea Figs. 

Aren't these cool?


And if two were good then ten would be five times better!!!


A chrysanthemum.

I really like this shot.


And this one. I was trying to shoot this from the sidewalk and the homeowner came home and said to go up on the lawn for the picture and so...I did. 


And then got this.


And, two doors down, got these Crocus.

Seriously, they look like they were painted on the picture.


These have been across the street for a while and I'm just seeing them now?

Seriously.



Street scene looking up Kenyon.


And this...next door. The bud looks like a bug.

Hahaha, yeah.


And these. Isn't this good!?! Sometimes I surprise myself.


Our bird feeder. It is particularly busy. That tube was filled to the top this morning and now it is below the first set of feeding stations.


And, from those birds to this one. A recent addition to our garden from the Dollar Tree.

It works, though. It works.


And so with the impetus of a small chore, getting Carol's Metro card renewed, we had a great day. It's always fun to get out and see new things and every time we go downtown, we always see new things. Every time.

And every time we go out I get to take some pictures and just enjoy them with Carol when we get back. Every time. And sometimes I get one that makes me go, WOW!! and I feel really good about it.

And, you know, it's fun. It isn't much but it is, always, fun.

Life is good.

  Hooah!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment