Friday, September 26, 2014

Our house is a very, very, very fine house... - 9/26/14

Or - ...with two cats in the yard, life used to be so hard, now everything is easy cause of you...

I had a small procedure that took up all the morning and early afternoon and, thank goodness, that unpleasantness is finished. Some medical tests can take a while...ugh!!

So after a hearty lunch, a very much appreciated and delicious, lunch, we headed back for some couch time. One of my favorite channels on cable is TCM - Turner Classic Movies. Got to watch a couple of good 1930s movies...one about a couple of guys working for the railroad and loving the same woman and another gangster movie where Jimmy Cagney died in order to prove that crime never paid...at least it didn't in the Old America. Today it is celebrated, feted, glorified in song and in movies. Times they do change.

So we needed to get up and do some moving around. Not wanting to drive, we kept it at home and decided to take a walk around the neighborhood. There's a house just down the side street that has been remodeled and the yard has been worked over so we thought we'd walk down there and take a gander. Yeah, I know, we're real Nosey Nellies.

And what should we encounter along the way!?! Why, the chance for a...

   Reflected Selfie!!   

Neither of us are shy about posing for selfies!! In fact, fair warning, you're gonna see a lot of selfies in this post. Lots of flowers and some shots of the neighborhood. Still trying to remember to semi-document what the Ol' Hood looks like, y'know.

We are both clever and original!!

Oh, and lots and lots of these...flowers!!

It's Fall and I wasn't expecting too many flowers to still be blooming. I was wrong. There were lots and, as is my wont, I tried to shoot them all.

...Orange/Yellow...





This is the seed pod left after the flower bloomed. 

Carol found out what it is…Clematis. It's in the Buttercup Family.

Kinda cool, though. And kinda creepy.


And these little weeds. This whole bush is about the size of a dime. That small, but when you get up close, you see they are really individual and have some hidden and pleasant surprises.



I know, right!?!?!

Looks like it is on it's last leg but still, it has its moments.

This is (was?) an Zinnia.


We've, finally, had some rain the last few days. It was raining pretty doggone good earlier this morning. Clouds were still hanging round and looking sorta ominous. You never realize how many wires and lines there are criss-crossing the streets until you try and take a picture of the sky in the distance.


And some more yellow flowers...


BAM!!


   Ugh.   

This thing. 

Honestly, Carol is the one interested in these 'things'. Not me. Uh-uh!! They are still disgusting and icky!! 

Seriously, disgusting.

Another shot of the sky. Again, angling around and between the lines. Still some pretty interesting skies as compared to our usual gray mass above our head.


Crape Myrtle

I know this because as we were looking at the tree, the guy across the street walking his dogs, yelled at us that it was Crape Myrtle and then he and Carol were off on a deep discussion about Crape Myrtle that lasted for a good 8 minutes. 

A deep, deep discussion. 

And so I shot this and a number of other shots of the Crape Myrtle...


...and got some close ups, too.

I have many more but I'll just treat you to these two. 

Ain't I nice!?!

Crape Myrtle, in case you didn't know already.

This bunch were sitting on a front porch. Amazing what you can see, isn't it?

A crowd of Chrysanthemums.

     POW!!    


And my new photo favorite, at least until the Daffodils bloom next Spring...the Field Clovers.

With an added bonus...Senor Bee!!

It's a BEE!! A Bee!!

And a perennial favorite...the Dandelion.

I think I'll start shooting some of the Dandelion Flowers (is that the right term?) along with the Dandelion Puffs.


Roll me over...and right there is just the smallest hint of yellow!! How'd that get in there?

It goes under the category of, "Things I didn't see until I downloaded the pictures."


And some fuchsia. Seriously, what a great walk this was.


But I tried to remember that I had wanted to document my neighborhood. And, occasionally, I even looked up a bit. When I did, I saw these signs which had, obviously, taken a couple bumps itself. 

From a gangsta Smurf, too!!

Fasten your seat belts, it's gonna be a bumpy ride...

   Kenyon Street Selfie!!   


And a picture of Kenyon. It was around that fire hydrant on the left that the guy who walked into a restaurant and shot four cops to death was, himself, gunned down and killed by a cop. Right about there...fun neighborhood, eh!?!


   Kenyon Street Selfie, Part II   


Long distance shot. I do LOVE my camera.

I am pretty sure, as much as I love it, I will be replacing it in a couple months. Canon has a new camera, The Canon PowerShot SX60 IS, coming out next month. When I save up the money, I'm gonna get me one of those. It has a longer lens, if you can believe it, AND a viewfinder. I'm really looking forward to that viewfinder.

Oh, yeah!!


Then we saw this humongus mushroom in someones front yard. Looks like something has been nibbling on it...Mushroom Dreams.

Hahaha, that wouldn't last in my yard. Not at all. Too big, I'd pick it just to look at it.


   Victory Grocery Selfie!!   

What can I say about the Victory Grocery? They rarely stock Diet Coke...big strike right there. The candy bars are old and usually semi-melted and left on the shelf. I bought a Three Musketeers bar there and it was discolored with age and stale…and, oddly enough, still for sale. I know cuz I bought it. Couldn't eat it (although I did try, several times).

It's always kinda messy but the beer is cold. And convenient.

Some folks think it is a front for drugs. Not me...much. But they gotta be making money somewhere other than just through their beer sales.

Hmmmmm...

Watch your back, Jack!!

The light was good this afternoon and I got this picture of the houses across the street from us.

See what I mean? See all the power lines, etc., going back and forth? Other than that, these are some nice looking older homes.


   Renton Ave S Selfie!!   

Yeah, there it is. The Ol' Homestead. 

It was a windy day. Blustery, too.

And the light was good.


What better way to end this than with these two stalwarts. As we approach the more timid souls take flight and flee but these two Buckos stayed as long as they could, filling their gullet with bird seed.

Grease on, Feathered Fighters!!



The seasons are changing, that's for sure. And for the better. I am loving the cooler weather now. And the rain...liking the rain, too.

And liking the walks round the 'Hood.

Living life on the edge, taking pictures of flowers!!

Hahahahahahahaha,

Life is very good.



   Hooah!!   

No comments:

Post a Comment