Saturday, September 6, 2014

Rainier Beach Art Walk - 9/6/14

Or - Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!!

It's a glorious, sunny, HOT and college football kind of a Saturday. Just the kind I like…except for that HOT thingie. Don't like that. Nope. Not at all.

Captain and Tennille Selfie Alert!!

Still it was a great day for this famous singing duo to get out.


And we were OFF!!

Heading down to the Rainier Beach Art Walk

for

Art!! Music!! Dance!! Food!!

And some community spirit, too.


Looking south to the intersection of Henderson and Rainier Ave.


Rainier Beach CC Selfie Alert!!

Hahaha, we were everywhere. I figured the area around the Art Walk would be crowded so I wisely decided to park a quarter-mile away and walk it on in.


 And, while we were strolling along, we got to watch this football game at Rainier Beach High School Vikings!! Hmmmm, if I were a Scandahoovian I might take offense at this patently racist term. It can't be flattering, can it?

These mininature football players were mixing it up big-time in the heat. I think they were around sixth or seventh grade. They were minis!! Big crowds, though. Approximately the size of the crowd at a New Mexico State football game. 

Last year!!

More about this later!
  

Ah, here we are. Looking down Henderson towards Beer Shiva Park and Lake Washington.

It was small but, you know, for a community like Rainier Beach it was huge. Our little part of Seattle is better known for shootings than for fun things like this.

But we do have the most diverse zip code in all of America.

Damn skippy!!


Here we are…and a great big thank-you from Carol and I for sponsoring this, too!!

We're getting to know the firemen that show up at these kinds of events. We've seen them at several events like Sea Fair recently.


Then, just beyond the Fire Engine were these…

  Hippie Mobiles.  

Or Art…

I don't know.


It was, however, a real Mobile Gallery!!

I'm posi-kitty about that.


Wise words to live by…

Give no one mean energy.

Heavy, Dude.

Seriously?


And from that sage advice we go to the front to see it is named the "Gnome Wagon".

A lot of effort went into this production.


Carol said she thought this guy was a tagger…you know, on the sides of buildings and such in the middle of the night.

I think she might be right.


And, from where I don't know know, a Sea Turtle.

And MJ has only been legal here in Washington since this last Spring. 

That ain't that long ago so these guys painted their cars while straight.

Right.


Because they've been working on this beauty for a long, long time.

I. Don't. Know.


But, obviously, they do know how to accessorize.

I just don't know about those blue gloves, though...


Reflected Window Selfie Alert!!

Hahahaha, still riding THAT pony, y'all!!


A lot of work and imagination went into this baby. Look!! Fingernail polish, too!!


Then on the hood of this car was this…Beauty on a Budget.

I know, I was wondering why, myself.

But it makes sense, in a fashion (Hahahaha, get it!?! Fashion!! Oh, that's rich!!) Cuz if you look at all the things on the side it goes with the painting on the hood.

Exactly.


OK, let's travel down the other side of this…automobile.

Flip flops. Of course!!


A detail of the sunglasses and wristwatches.


And the interior was just as rich. This is the cover over the passenger seat of the car.

Wow, Dude!! I can TASTE the air, Man!!


That was part of the art, I think. Here's part of the music, I think. 

He was singing something when we first walked up that had me totally confused. It was sound but it wasn't like any music I've ever heard before. And, yes, I've heard some African music before.

Then they got into something with a beat that I could understand.


There were plenty of booths and a lot of local artists were showing their art.



And this guy took our picture. He gave us a postcard that was suppose to let us find the picture he took and then we could copy it but…I've been to his site and I can't see any pictures of any one at the Art Walk today. I'll try again later.


This guy had some paintings of birds…I didn't take a picture of any of them because, well, today I didn't feel like asking and so I didn't take them. I didn't want anyone to think I was stealing their art. It gets complicated and sometimes, even with an angelic face like mine, people are wary of letting me get pictures of their wares.

Crazy, huh!?!

But I included this because my Sister and her Hubby are named…Blomberg. And there ain't that many of them around, y'know.

Are you reading this, Darcie?


And the Scouts were there. Except now the Scouters are called Routers.

Don't ask. I honestly don't know the answer to this one, either. But it is good to know they've got a Scout Troop here. This is a community that can definitely use an active Troop.

I'm jes sayin'...


And they even had a booth for Mid-Wives!!

Yeah, I was sorta surprised by that, too. But, good on them!! This community can use some good Midwifery, too!!


Along with the art...


From Africa.


It sells, I guess.

I do sorta like that B&W picture on the lower left side. 

Sorta.



These guys were selling Duck Dogs. I didn't look too close but the one I saw said it was a genuine Polish Sausage. Hahahaha, I wanted one, regardless.


More local art.


And a face painter!! 

She was a serious face painter. This kid was gonna be a panther or something like that. This was the second face painter we saw there.


And you could get your t-shirt silk-screened. I did silk-screening once…in college or high school. All I really remember is that I would only do silk-screening once.

That was enough.


And jewelry. Lots of jewelry and these beads.


And these flowery thingies.


Lots of hand-crafted things for sale.


I only got the one shot but this is a detail of a pot. I really liked these. Again, I didn't ask so I didn't take but this sneaky one.


Art Walk!!


Couldn't quite get by these cars without getting another picture. 

Hahaha, I bet they've had many, many playful dreams. 


There it is. Our little part of Seattle was showing some pride today. Good on them for bringing the community together a bit.


Walking back to the Mini I got this picture of the Rainier Beach Community Center. What's really cool, besides the indoor swimming pool and play area, is the Fitness Room.

For just $2 I can go in and use the elliptical, the treadmill and the weights. I really enjoy it because I need to keep on exercising and I don't want to join a club and drive five or more miles to it. This is just a mile away. 

Right up my alley!!


So, it was a great, sunny and beautiful College Football kind of a day.

I found where ESPN has games on the computer and I stumbled across NMSU playing against Cal Poly last week…and winning.

So, once we got back I went to the computer and found that ESPN was broadcasting the NMSU vs Georgia State game!!

Hooah!!

And, when I tuned in, NMSU was winning 27-24…for about 30 seconds. I arrived there just in time to see Georgia State score and take the lead with about 2:30 left to play.

After the let-down, my first thought was that NMSU was still finding ways to lose again this year.

The Aggies got the ball and began a 80+ yard drive…

and…

they…

 SCORED!!! 

Holy Touchdown, Batman!!

The Aggies were in the lead, 34-31 with just 15 seconds left to play.

No penalties and no gains.

NEW MEXICO STATE LOST, (sorry, force of habit) 

 WON!! 

They are 2-0 for the season…and I've never said that before.

They have a winning season…and I've never said that before.

They are tied for first in their conference…and I've never said that before.

I was, honestly, at a loss for how to react.

It's a new feeling…really new!!

Here's the shots I got off the computer.

I mean, who would believe it, right!?!



Yeah, that's right!!

The New Mexico State Aggies are 2-0 overall and 1-0 in conference play.

Un. Be. Liveable!!!


Hahaha, it was great fun, for a change, to watch the Aggies. I thought they'd lost it. I was ready to write them off but, no!! They came back and scored. Then I thought they'd foul someone and the Panthers would get that miracle TD with seconds left but…NO!!!

Denied!!

We won!!

Art Walks and being on the winning side of the Aggie Football Coin for a change!!

Life is good!!

   Hooah!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment