Monday, September 15, 2014

Picknick, wieder!! - 9/15/14

Or - Up In the Sky!! Is it a Bird? Is It a Plane? 

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, It's a Plane!!

What can I say...it's too hot to do anything!! It was 87 degrees today!! Unbelievable!! 

It's been like 45+ days of over 80 degree weather. 

Enough, already!!

It was, really, too hot to go downtown...or anyplace else for that matter. Which gave us the great excuse to lay around and do nothing for most of the day. But, then, in the afternoon it became too hot in the apartment. 

What could we do? Hahaha, pack up dinner and head to the lake. Cool breezes and shady trees, it's a great combination. And some good food, too.

So casting our worries to the side, we headed off to another picnic...we're getting good at them, that's for sure. Pack up the radio, grab the pillows, put the food and something to drink in the bag along with a book, crosswords puzzle and the binoculars and we're off!! The lawn chair and the blanket stay in the mini so we don't have to worry about them.

It's a good system.

  Picnic Blanket Selfie Alert!!  


Just goofing around, I got this nice shot of Carol.


And this nicer one.


We had enjoyed our dinner and had dessert (a chocolate muffin) and battled with the wasps. Yeah, the wasps must have liked the smell of our dinner because they came once and then kept on coming back. 

Hahaha, I watched one fly in, pick up a grain of rice and fly out. He knew what he wanted and went for it. He left and brought back a couple of his friends and then I had to start swatting them with the hand towel. 

Disclaimer: No wasps were injured in the defense of my dinner.

But I tried!!

Then I turned my eye towards the weeds. There were more than a few for me to look at. I never really looked at them before but when you get up close and personal to them, they're kinda nice. Not necessarily this one but some of the others have been interesting.


And, because we were picnicking, I did something I rarely ever do anymore...I got down on the ground for a picture. Well, truth be said, I was already on the ground, laying on the blanket and trying not to fall asleep, and then I rolled over and got this shot.

I've discovered that when you get down...you must get up. And up, for me, is not always pleasant nor pretty. Funny at times but, really, never pretty.


And while I was down there trying to find the stem of a tall weed, I accidentally took this shot. It's not bad in an abstract, artsy-fartsy way. 

Should I have given this one an "Artsy-Fartsy Alert"? Maybe, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it.


One last shot. Same theme. Maybe I should do a weed theme alert? I'll think about it. Just a gentle picture with some good color.


Then something happened that rarely ever happens...I put the camera down. 

No!! That isn't it!! 

I put the doggone thing down every now and then. 

No, the rare thing was that I put the camera down and Carol picked it up! She hasn't taken many pictures but she got hold of the camera today and went at it like a pro!! Good thing this wasn't a film camera. Hahaha, thank goodness for digital.

She caught a seaplane landing on Lake Washington and then taxi up to the airfield...where it did something that rarely ever happens...I'll tell you later.


OK, mind you, I've skipped a picture between each of these.


De plane, de plane, Boss!!


Getting closer!!


Here it comes!!


C'mon, Buddy!!


I think she did a pretty good job, myself.


Again, remember that this is every other one.


Good job.


Momentary distraction...Sky King took off.

Out of the blue of the western sky comes America's favorite Flying Cowboy, 

Sky King!!

It was kind of a polluted day...can you see where the smog is?

Smog, what an interesting word...Websters tells me that the word "smog" was made up in the early 20th century as a portmanteau of the words smoke and fog to refer to smoky fog. The word was intended to refer to what was sometimes known as pea soup fog, a familiar and serious problem in London from the 19th to the mid-20th century.

I did not know that.

Those crazy Brits and their funny words. They may have invented smog, but Angelinos perfected it!! Hooah!! We're #1.

Additional fun fact (and something I didn't know...yet)

Portmanteau - a word or morpheme whose form and meaning are derived from blending of two or more distinct forms (as smog from smoke and fog)

Challenge!! Can you think of another example of a Portmanteau?

"Shemy"

blending the names Sheldon and Amy from The Big Bang Theory

Who says watching TV all the time doesn't improve your mind!?!?!

OH!! And Contrails!! A blending of the words condensation and trails.

Hahahaha, I really do still have it!!

Hmmmm, watching TV I heard about the fires down south...this smog could be a result of the smoke from the fires. Could be.

But we were with a 50s TV show, Sky King.


Back to the important stuff!!


Still a-comin'


Crazy guy photobombing the seaplane sequence.

(Did you like that? Sea-plane sea-quence!?!) 

Hahaha, I still crack myself up!!


Coming in...


Still coming...


Closer and closer...


Plane taking-off distraction.


Back to the seaplane...


And, here's where the pilot did something we've never seen before. Normally, when a seaplane lands, they coast up to the ramp, get out and get a truck with a trailer and come back to the ramp, pick up the seaplane and then drive it off to be parked.

Not this guy.

While he was coasting in, he put down his landing gear and then, with a mighty roar of his engine, He came up the ramp onto the airfield.

Never seen that before. Never.


And he came in...


for Customs. 

A Customs Agent came out and this guy had to produce his papers. Guess he was flying in from a foreign country like Canada or Alaska.


Hahahaha, still got it. Yes I do!!

On the way home, we stopped by the Ol' VFW, Post 9430, for a couple of $1 Tacos and some cold adult beverages.


Bonus picture!!

There was a extra section in the paper today discussing, in detail, the Seahawks upset loss to the Doggone, San Diego Chargers...may they develop irritating and itchy rashes in places they cannot reach.

There is a pall over Seattle...our Mighty Seahawks have struck out. Maybe that's what all the smog was about!! Maybe!!

Still, it was a total bummer.

But they'll be ready for Denver!! Count on it!!


Picnics, wasps, seaplanes and dealing with a terrible loss. A day for rare events to happen and be enjoyed. A good day.

Goooooo, Hawks!!

Life goes on and, you know, life is good.



  Hooah!!  


No comments:

Post a Comment